Too cold for cold smoking?

Started by porkdog324, May 03, 2014, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porkdog324

Hey all

I bought the Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment.

The weather today is cool, but I wanted to try the attachment.

The cabinet temp is 4C (40F).

Is this too cool to properly smoke Cheddar cheese?

Do I smoke longer to compensate?

Thanks
Brent

tailfeathers

You might find that you would get better results leaving the SG on the cabinet and smoke your cheese that way without turning on the heating element. The puck burner will provide enough heat to get you up to 80-90* which is where you want to be. Just watch your temp so you dont get over 90 and melt your cheese. If it gets to warm just open the door for a bit to drop the cabinet temp, shouldn't take long at 40*
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

NePaSmoKer

Colder the better. You smoke gen in the cold smoker and the smoke tube going from the cold smoker to the cabinet is just about perfect, dont turn the main element on at all.

Saber 4

I can't really comment on this problem, mine is the opposite I'll have to use the cold smoke adapter to keep the temps below 90.

nwcove

Quote from: Saber 4 on May 04, 2014, 07:27:11 PM
I can't really comment on this problem, mine is the opposite I'll have to use the cold smoke adapter to keep the temps below 90.

i have the same issue, "kinda"....when its cold out, i cant get the temp up to cook ribs with the heating element on full.  but it runs to hot to cold smoke with just the puck heater, and with my homemade  cold smoke adapter i have a problem with keeping the temp up to much above 70?? can i make a proper cord that will allow me to run the heat element in the  original smoker to add a bit of heat?