Cold smoke multitasking

Started by BoxcarBetts, May 03, 2014, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxcarBetts

So I've been aching to replenish my cheese stock and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone:

2 bricks of Cracker Barrel old cheddar, 1 brick of Cracker Barrel jalapeño cheddar.

2 New Yorks to throw on the barbeque later.

Ready for some hickory! Note the ice in the drip tray to keep the temp down.

Found this at Winners. Figured I'd try something new. There's always cool rarities at Winners. In fact, I've found Kona coffee straight from Hawaii there!
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

BoxcarBetts

So here's the outcome.  My bisquette burner died one at about 1:20. I was hoping for 2 hrs of hickory. The steaks turned out great, but I was hoping for a little more colour on the cheese.

The old cheddar.

Cut it in half for easier packaging.

The jalapeño cheddar

See you in a month! Although the jalapeño cheddar was pretty soft. Might be ready in 3 weeks.  I have to admit, I haven't tried cheese right out of the smoker before this batch... Didn't think it was TOO horrible.

Saber 4

Looks like you got some good color before your SG took a dump.

BoxcarBetts

Yeah, but I got such a nice brown on previous batches! Not sure if it was the 40-min less of smoke or the fact I was using a different brand of cheese. Either way, I'm sure I won't be disappointed in a month's time!

Actually, one thing I was thinking when I got these long narrow blocks was that there would be more surface area for the smoke. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Saber 4

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on May 04, 2014, 07:55:39 PM
Yeah, but I got such a nice brown on previous batches! Not sure if it was the 40-min less of smoke or the fact I was using a different brand of cheese. Either way, I'm sure I won't be disappointed in a month's time!

Actually, one thing I was thinking when I got these long narrow blocks was that there would be more surface area for the smoke. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm betting it is due to the shorter smoke time, I get a deeper color the longer I let it bloom before wrapping or sealing also.

BoxcarBetts

This stuff bloomed for probably an hour before I could get it into the fridge, if you count the amount of time I left it in the smoker while I troubleshot my SG.  Oh well! At least I was lucky enough to get the 1:20 on it.

Saber 4

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on May 05, 2014, 11:26:37 AM
This stuff bloomed for probably an hour before I could get it into the fridge, if you count the amount of time I left it in the smoker while I troubleshot my SG.  Oh well! At least I was lucky enough to get the 1:20 on it.

I'm sure it will be good, if your worried I'm sure you'd have plenty of people willing to let you ship it to them so you don't have to eat an inferior smoked cheese..lol ;)

BoxcarBetts

Oh, I've already got a contingency plan, Saber! My folks are coming in from Ontario for a 2 week visit. I'm sure I can at least stuff some in their suitcase when they're not looking!

Actually, I was planning in sending them home with a couple of bricks anyway. It's a 5-hour flight from Vancouver to Toronto and they'll probably be 8 or 9 hours, perhaps more in total travel. Any tips for packaging? I was thinking just a couple of cooler packs and an insulated lunch box or something.

Saber 4

That should work for keeping it cool, it really helps if you are vacuum sealing instead of wrapping and smoking gives you some preservative qualities so the time frame should be no problem.