CRAP! Puck burner blown.

Started by BoxcarBetts, May 03, 2014, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxcarBetts

So I went out to check on my smoker at about 1:20 into a 2-hour cold smoke and noticed that I didn't seem to be smoking anymore.  I opened up the door and watched a 1/2 burned bisquette push into the bowl.  I felt the burner, it was still pretty hot, but didn't quite seem hot enough.  I checked the temperature of it with a thermometer, 98 deg C.  I turned the thing on and off like a computer, knowing full well it probably wouldn't work, but I was in the middle of a smoke!

Anyway, I did some investigation and it appears that my burner just decided to blow.  I'm still well within my manufacturer's warranty and my wife bought the extended warranty from Canadian Tire, so I know I'll be able to get smoking again soon.  I'm going to go to Canadian Tire first, but I don't expect them to be able to do much except probably try to replace the whole thing.  My wife thinks maybe they'll upgrade me since last time I was in there, they weren't carrying the BTIS1 anymore.  However, I'm nicely seasoned and I know it's a simple part to replace.  I'd rather just go through Bradley.

Has anyone had this happen to them?  Does anyone know if Bradley will honour the extended warranty from a distributor?  Come to think of it, I bet that Canadian Tire will tell me to go to Bradley anyway since the manufacturer's warranty is still valid.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tailfeathers

I would also start by giving Bradley a call. They were top notch when I had a micro switch go south on me, had a part to me very fast. The next thing I would suggest would be ordering a tube from A-maze-n. That way you have a standby method for producing smoke in the event of situations like this. I find myself using my tube more often than the puck burner anymore.
The tube will pay for itself in short order, pellets are dirt cheap compared to pucks. I buy them in 5# bags (6.99) and that amount will just fill a gallon ice cream pail. I just label the pails with what kind of pellets are in them. I would estimate that I get around an hour of smoke per cup of pellets. I would also recommend the Q-mats that you can buy on the A-Maze-n site, way cheaper than frogmat and other than a slightly finer mesh size you can't tell one from the other. Good luck, and hope you get back in the game without to much hassle!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

Most extended warranties I have purchased do not kick in until the manufacture's warranty has ended; but it would be worth a try if you think Canadian Tire may upgrade you. It is only a matter of a phone call or two.

Generally when the bisquettes burner goes, the generator will trip the GFCI (GFI), if you are plugged into one. Have you opened the generator and checked for any loose wiring?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BoxcarBetts

I did. I started with the GFCI, which was good. I also has the power light on on the generator. Then, since I wasn't sure where in the circuit the fuse was, I checked that. Also good. After that I opened it up an it looks like the burner itself has open-circuited. I disconnected the plug connector to the burner and measured 120V on the source side, but was unable to read resistance on the load side (the burner itself).  Should have gotten about 115 ohms.  All of the wiring was good and I didn't see anything burned up. My guess is that it burned up or some how disconnected in the burner itself. I didn't go so far as to pull the tube out of the back of the burner though, since I don't know how it is constructed and assume the wires are soldered to a heating element. Think it's worth while to pull it apart?

BoxcarBetts

Hey Tailfeathers, do you have a pic of how you've rigged up your A-maze-n tube?

tailfeathers

I don't rig it up really. Just pour pellets into the tube and light the pellets on the open end of the tube with a propane torch. Let them burn for a few minutes, blow out the flame and lay the smoldering tube in the bottom of the smoker. Couldn't be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoxcarBetts

Nice. I can totally see how that would save your butt in a pinch. Just fill it, light it, whip it in. That's a good call.

TedEbear

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on May 04, 2014, 07:56:57 PM
Nice. I can totally see how that would save your butt in a pinch. Just fill it, light it, whip it in. That's a good call.

I also have one of those.  After being frustrated by trying to find bisquettes in the flavors I wanted I switch to the pellets.  Cabela's sells 20# bags for $20 and one bag will last me more than a year.

tailfeathers

The reason I buy pellets in five lb bags is kinda like what TedEbear said. If I bought 20 lbs of all the flavors I wanted the pellets would become petrified before I could use that many. They last a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoxcarBetts

So I just got off the phone with a nice lady at Bradley, should have my new burner on its way in the next couple of days. A few easy questions: purchase date, where from, serial number, etc. Then  she asked what part failed, I told her what was going on, and "okay! We can definitely send you out a new burner."  Can't wait to get back in the game!

BoxcarBetts

Got my new burner yesterday. Checked out the new burner with a multimeter just to prove the resistance and thought I'd post it  in case it can help someone else in troubleshooting their smoker. Calculated value is 115 ohms, I measured 111, which is close enough. My failed burner showed  an open circuit.

Smoker John

Good info, now time to smoke
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

BoxcarBetts