Bew BS611 and 2nd Element Help

Started by Panthur, May 05, 2014, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthur

Hi guys. Just got a new BS611 and wanted to know how to do the 2nd element mod with this model. How does it get wired in specifically ? Do I need to bypass the heat adjustment control knob on the generator box or not ? ( I know that it was recommended to bypass the slider in the older model )
I currently have the older OBS and use an Auber PID with it ( no element mod ). I will of course be using the PID with the new smoker as well. I realize my warantee will become void with the mod. Its the wiring more so than the actual mounting that I am uncertain of. Thanks in advance for any help.  :-\

TNRockyraccoon

Several of the dual 500 watt mods I've seen on here and on the recipe site have just made small jumper wires that piggy back from the 1st element over the the second element. One jumper wire on both ends.

I've also seen a few that are a little more elaborate where they are wired to a second switch and to the main power supply in the back. These will allow you the option of turning one element on and off as needed.

I'd probably got with the first option and a PID. With that said, I added the 900watt finned element in mine.

TedEbear

I have an OBS and a second element.  On the wiring, I ran a pair of 3-4" loops of high temp wire from each end of the original element to each end of the second element. I've been running it that way for several years.  Also have a PID controller in the SG, added when I did the dual elelment mod.

These how-to guides may help.  They were written for the OBS but it'll give you the general idea.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

Panthur

I was wondering about that.....just paralleling the 2nd element directly off of the original element with short jumpers. So you guys have that method up and running  ( with a  PID ) and everything is fine ?  Because that is obviously a pretty simple method for installation .

rexster

Exactly what I did. Jumped the first element to the added second one, run an Auber PID, no problems
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Panthur

Sounds good. A couple more questions if I could..... So I suspect then that the factory wiring, including main power cord, etc in the BS611 is capable of safely handling the extra load of the second element ?
And with my Auber PID ( which I have been using for some time without any problems whatsoever in the OBS ), I think I read somewhere that when you add a second element you need to run the auto calibration on the PID or something to that effect ?
Thanks.

Rider14

Glad I saw this. Just bought the Auber dual probe PID and am planning to add a second heating element (and maybe a fan as I just had 2 bathroom ceiling fans replaced, and one of those motors may have a long enough shaft...)

I'm also considering adding a switch to be able to kill the second element so as to not overload the smoker if I don't use the PID. My understanding is that the smoker would be overloaded with the second element without the PID controller.

If I add a switch, is it easier to add a jumper on one side of the element and a loop on the other with a cut off switch in that loop? Or should I wire directly to the power source if I want a switch? Newb with little wiring experience but game.

Also, how do you connect the wires? Is there a bolt / ring set up on both elements?

Thanks,

- Dan

TedEbear

Hi Dan.  Here's a how-to article on it with pics.  See if that answers your questions.

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

Rider14

Thanks. I was reading up on the mods some more, and I have the 'newer' Original Bradley Smoker with the heat controller on the smoke generator box (big round knob).

I also read that the newer OBS (BS611) can handle the additional element without a PID - is that true? If so, I won't wire a switch to turn off the second element for when I'm not using the PID (which I hope to test this weekend!) [started a new thread on this]

Again, love this place. Thanks for the help. Now I have to convince my wife to let me put the smoker in a vented cabinet to deal with the cold and snowy winters here in Chicago.

- Dan