Turkey Breast Success

Started by LanduytG, May 12, 2014, 02:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Well this one is in the books. We used a 7lb bone in turkey breast. I pulled the skin back and then used Habanero's basic poultry rub. Before pulling the skin back down I put a piece of my triple smoked bacon across the breast. After pulling skin down I used more rub and the put another strip of bacon across the neck area. Applied 3 hours of apple smoke and it took a total of 4.5 hours to get to temp. The only thing I would do different is use pecan, I thought it needed more smoke flavor, but everyone else thought it was perfect. While craving it up I could keep the vultures away.

This is how I measure success. After carving it 2 people picked the carcass clean.

Thanks for the help while getting this done.

Wildcat

Nice Job! Whenever I smoke or grill I always think it needs more smoke. I think the reason is because I have  been enjoying the aroma so much that my taste buds do not pick up all the flavor when eating it right after the cook/smoke. I do not have this issue when I let at least 2 hours go by after the cook to eat it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tailfeathers

Quote from: Wildcat on May 12, 2014, 04:09:27 AM
Nice Job! Whenever I smoke or grill I always think it needs more smoke. I think the reason is because I have  been enjoying the aroma so much that my taste buds do not pick up all the flavor when eating it right after the cook/smoke. I do not have this issue when I let at least 2 hours go by after the cook to eat it.
I notice the same thing. I think you get acclimated to the smoke while tending your cook, so the flavor seems much less intense to you than those who weren't exposed to the smoke itself.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

Nice touch using some triple smoked bacon. I may have to try that next time I cook a turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Looks good, I love the bacon idea too.

LanduytG

I grill a lot of chicken thighs with skin on on my Holland. Last week I did some up for supper, all I use is garlic powder, salt and pepper. I decided to use a small piece of triple smoke bacon on each thigh. I grill good thighs, but these were absolutely the best. So good my wife even said they were the best I had done. Thats why I put it on the turkey breast. SO today I took out 12 more pounds ob bellies out of the freezer so I can triple smoke some more. Even though the bellies I have a very fatty its work good with other things.

Greg

SiFumar

Looks great! Love the bacon idea!  Smoked turkey has to be one of my favorites!