Disappointed with quality....UPDATE!...

Started by Tominator, July 09, 2004, 06:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

<font color="blue">Well, I've been bumming around various forums and gathering info on various smoking methods and smokers as the ole charcoal smoker was getting to be a pain in the buttocks![xx(] I decided on the Bradley as most have had excellant results.

Ordered one a week before the 4th of July and it came the friday before. The heating element was broken.[V] Replaced without question, but took another week to get here and refroze all my meat.

Element came today....but the advance doesn't work. Another smoker unit is being sent out, but it'll be another week. Meat goes back into the freezer[:(]

I also noticed many screws are not tightened all the way.

....just my luck, but when it gets going, look out![8D][:p][:D] </font id="blue">

Where there's smoke....there's meat!

BigSmoker

Tominator,
Sorry for your trouble.  I hope all gets fixed soon.  I have not had any problems with my BS but have heard thru this forum customer service is #1.  I have a stainless unit and I asure you the quality is top notch.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Tominator

I'm sure it will work out <b>BigSmoker
</b>, but it sure is frustrating.

Another smoker is on the way, but another problem is evident.

Trying to at least season the unit, but cannot get below 180 degrees.[|)]

So I called back the vendor that I purchased it from and they then contacted Bradley. According to what I understand Bradley told them this is normal![:(!] Just use the heat from the burner, I was told, to keep the heat about 100 to 125. I then asked how was I to make jerky in the smoker?[:p] She agreed that not being able to use the smoker for a 50+ degree spread was not acceptable.

I related the trouble that other members of the forum have had and mentioned the circuit board that others posted about. It will be monday before I hear from them...[:(]

Zipper

Sorry for your trouble Tominator.  I've had a stainless Bradley since April.  My younger daughter loves jerkey.  I make it about every other week.  Just leave the vent open, no water in the bowl, only use the burner for a heat source,  and in four - six hours it's done.  
Zip

Tominator

I'm going to use a dry rub and let the strips of flank steak set overnight in the rub before they go on the BS. I'll start at 180 degrees to kill off any bacteria and smoke at a reduced amount of heat for two hours and then burner only until dried/done.

Sound about right?[?]

My Maverick dual probe smoker thermometer came today so when all the problems are fixed there will be some serious smokin goin on to be sure![:p]

Thanks for the advice![:)]

BigSmoker

IMHO, skip the dealer and call Bradley yourself with problems.  I believe that would get you better results and quicker responce time.

Jeff

Scooter

Hi Tominator,
  Sorry to hear about your problems with the smoker.  I put a post last week about Beef Jerky and my observations which might help you it was on the 4th.  I have made 2 more batches since and have been using a little hight temp around 180-F and the Jerky is coming out great.  Remember the Bradley is very sensitive to wind your temp will drop signifigantly with a little wind.  Good luck with the Jerky im sure if you have problems someone on here will know the answer.  The people are very helpful and there are some seriously seasoned smokers out there.
      Scooter

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Tominator</i>
<br />I'm sure it will work out <b>BigSmoker
</b>, but it sure is frustrating.

Another smoker is on the way, but another problem is evident.

Trying to at least season the unit, but cannot get below 180 degrees.[|)]

So I called back the vendor that I purchased it from and they then contacted Bradley. According to what I understand Bradley told them this is normal![:(!] Just use the heat from the burner, I was told, to keep the heat about 100 to 125. I then asked how was I to make jerky in the smoker?[:p] She agreed that not being able to use the smoker for a 50+ degree spread was not acceptable.

I related the trouble that other members of the forum have had and mentioned the circuit board that others posted about. It will be monday before I hear from them...[:(]

tIMINATOR!!

HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU HAD FROM A BUSTED HEATING TUBE TO A BAD HEAT CONTROL. CALLED BS ON THURSDAY AND ON FRIDAY HAD A NEW HEAT CONTROL. I PUT IT IN YESTERDAY AND IT SEEM TO BE THE CURE. I AM BEGINING TO QUESTION THE QUALITY OF THE B SMOKER. WHEN REPLACING THE CIRCUIT BOARD/HEATER CONTROL BE CAREFUL. THERE ARE THREE SCREWS ON TOPA AND THREE ON THE BOTTOM.THEN ONCE THE COVER IS OFF THERE ARE 6 REALLY SMALL SCREWS IN THE CIRCUIT BOARD. I WOULD SUGGEST USING A MANGNETIC SCREW DRIVER WHEN REPLACING BECAUSE THERE IS NOT MUCH ROOM FOR BIG FINGERS. WHEN REPALCING THE COVER ON THE BOTTOM YOU HAVE TO WORK AROUND THE RUBBER FOOT. MAGNETIC SCREW DRIVER IS A MOST HERE SO YOU DON'T DROP THE SCREW AND CAN'T FIND IT (HAPPEN TO ME). GOOD LUCK!
I AM DOING A PORK BUTT TOMORROW AND HOPE MY CONTROL BOARD WORKS !

BIGRED

BigRED

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zipper</i>
<br /> Just leave the vent open, no water in the bowl,  
Zip
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Zip, just so you know, the bowel of water is not to add moisture( not needed because of how tight the Bradley seals)but rather to extinguish the pucks so no bad acid tasting smoke gets in your food.
There should ALWAYS be water in the bowel.[:)] Hope this helps!

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BigSmoker

Thanks Bassman, I just learned my Bradley has a bowel!!!!LOL  How often do I need to have that thing checked by my Doc?

Jeff

Tominator

Well, knowing a new smoker unit was on the way and reading another member with problems had one sent to him with no need to return the defective unit, I took the plunge and opened the defective smoker.

At least half the screws were strpped that hold the various pieces together. I'm asking myself if the whole smoker was a refurb? However after seeing the packing and such there is little doubt it came from Bradley and then from the retailer I chose, sealed.

The good news is that the advance mechanism was not even plugged into the power! It is a automotive type plug BTW and it is in or out. This unit was NEVER tested or the defect would be obvious. I was hesitant to take it apart as normally this voids the warranty. Plugged in the connector, VIOLA! advance works! If the vendor wants the unit back and pays for shipping, they'll get it. Otherwise it goes into the spare parts bin. I refuse to sell it for profit.

As to the aforesaid heat problem. After a decent amount of jerky was loaded the BS took almost 1.25 hours to get to 200 degrees! I even had it on high for 1/2 hour before the introduction of meat or smoke. Doubled the trays as I bought extra trays and did not use the bottom area at all to avoid the higher temp.

After the raise in temp, the jerky was smoked for another hour for a total of 2.25 hours of smoke using the 'blend' variety of bisquette. Then the vent was opened completely and the temp droped to about 125 during the next 1/2 hour with the heat set on about 1/2.

Using the High Mountain Jerky Cure of the Cajun variety resulted in spectatular results! I've NEVER had a more delectible jerky from anywhere! 100% better than a dehydrator without a doubt and much faster. I had read of various recepies, but chose to follow the High Mountain directions until I'm familar with the BS.

Tomorrow we'll try some chicken quarters and I'll check back...[:D]

The bad?.....ain't any![:D]

<font color="red">Where there's smoke....there's meat!</font id="red">