Bacon Curing have ?

Started by LanduytG, April 14, 2014, 10:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

My bacon has been in the frig curing for 3 days. How much juice should be in the bag? Does not appear to be much at this time.

Thanks
Greg

manfromplaid

it varies  my bacon did not show much fluid even at the 6 day mark

KyNola

Don't worry about the amount of liquid that is thrown off.  Each pig is different.  In my opinion the amount of liquid is of no consequence.  If you used the correct amount of cure for the corresponding weight of the meat, you're good to go.

LanduytG

I used 3 Tbsp for an almost 3# slab. Just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

Thanks
Greg

Tenpoint5

3 tbs for 3 pounds? I'm going to guess your making canadian bacon.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 14, 2014, 05:36:00 PM
If he is using TenderQuick or the Basic Cure Mix from Ruhlman's book isn't the 1 tbsp./1lb of meat correct even if he is making belly bacon?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on April 14, 2014, 07:22:38 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 14, 2014, 05:36:00 PM
If he is using TenderQuick or the Basic Cure Mix from Ruhlman's book isn't the 1 tbsp./1lb of meat correct even if he is making belly bacon?
Thats what I'm hoping he's using and not cure 1
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Dano

Bradley cures are 3tbsp per 5lbs as that's what I use. Greg can you please clarify your cure type and method? For the pork belly and bradley cure after as much as 14 days some of my curing bags have little to no liquid while others have close to 1/8 of a cup. It varies and as long as it's stiffened up a bit shouldn't matter as Nola said. 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Dano on April 15, 2014, 07:34:31 AM
Bradley cures are 3tbsp per 5lbs as that's what I use. Greg can you please clarify your cure type and method? For the pork belly and bradley cure after as much as 14 days some of my curing bags have little to no liquid while others have close to 1/8 of a cup. It varies and as long as it's stiffened up a bit shouldn't matter as Nola said. 

His last post on the question about the Triple Smoke recipe (using pork belly), was about the difference between cure #1, and basic cure. After that was answered he decided to go with Morton Tender Quick; which he has on hand.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dano

Perfecto. Speaking of bacon, has anyone noticed a sharp rise in pork prices? The butcher I normally deal with here is now charging triple for pork belly from what it was last year. I averaged $4 per kilo and now it's gone up to $12/kilo.  I've heard PED and the drought are the causes.   

Habanero Smoker

In my area the pork prices started to rise last August, and seemed to have peaked in late December - early January. The prices are still high and seem to have stabilized. At one point spare ribs at Costco was close to $3.25/lb., now they down to around $2.89/lb.  The main cause of the increase is due to the PED virus.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dano

Thanks Habs.  I haven't looked at any pork meat outside of belly bacon.  I'm meeting with the butcher today so hopefully he can give me more information.  :)

EDinNB

Please don't shoot the messenger :)
My local meat guy Coop meat counter told me that All Packing houses were reducing the size of there vac packed sliced consumer bacon from 500 G to 375 G and charging the same price. That is a 25% reduction in package size.

Dano

I did my 24lbs of triple-smoked maple bacon last week and bought a new Cuisinart 7.5" slicer rather than cutting by hand as I've done in the past.  Brilliant cuts of pork belly, great balance between meat and fat.  The butcher who slaughters the hogs told me that here in S. Ontario pork prices have risen so much they're feeling the impact from PED.  I only sourced out pork belly and fresh belly sliced was going for $6.80/lb here.  They're thinking that midway through the summer we should see som easing off on the high prices but that's just a guess.

Glad I stocked up on the home-smoked bacon.  :) 

OntarioSmoke

I just bought about 50lbs of belly from a packer in SW Ontario at $2.99 a lb.  Not as low as I paid several months ago but was fairly happy with that price and cuts are great quality, now I just have to clear the freezer space for it all.  They seemed confident that they could hold that price without any issues so hoping things have leveled off a bit and may even come down as the year progresses.