Newbie, smoker problems...

Started by Daubsnu1, May 13, 2014, 04:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daubsnu1

Got the BS611 for Christmas and love it!  Last time fired her up the biscuit unit did not push pucks out on burner.  And could only get the unit to 150 degrees after hours on high (used digital meat thermometer). 

Registered my smoker with Bradley and will be calling warranty tonight.  Suggestions?

Thanks, Daubs

beefmann

sounds like the motor or micro switch went bad in the  smoke generator... as for it  not going above 150 f seems  like the puck burner is the  only thing producing heat and you  may  not have the main  element  on  or not  programmed  right..  bad connections between your   smoke generator,,  or a bad element

TedEbear

Daubs, click on the link for some help on fixing the puck advance problem.

Why won't my bisquettes advance automatically or when I push the Advance button?

On the low temp issue, it sounds like either a wire may be loose inside the smoke generator or a power cord is not seated tight enough.  On a new smoker it may be hard to plug the cords in all the way so unplug them and reseat them tightly and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, you may need to open up the smoke generator and check for a loose wire.  It sometimes happens during shipping and getting bounced around. According to Bradley, this will not void your warranty.  Here's a link on removing the 8 perimeter screws around the base of the smoke generator to open it up.

How do I clean my generator?

Daubsnu1

Great advice!  Thanks.  The smoker worked several times since purchase in December.  It only recently started acting up.  I will take your advice and have a look.  I am pretty handy (finished basement, replaced V8 in my 1972 Chevy Truck, build my own computers, etc.), so opening up the smoker shouldn't be a problem.  Obviously don't want to void the warranty.

Take care, D.

Daubsnu1

Checked the unit tonight and the power cord to the main unit was not properly seated.  I think that solves one problem.

Still have problem with smoke generator.  Pulled it apart and cleaned ( not much in there).  when i push button, the unit slides biscuit out.  Push button again, and sometimes it moves, other times it goes half way back.  sometimes doesn't move at all.  Push again, and will come back 90% of the way.  Other times comes back 100%, allowing biscuit to fall.  It's very inconsistent. 

Going to keep experimenting. 

Question:  should new biscuit be pushed out EVERY time i push the button?  If that's the case, then it's certainly broken. 

Thanks, D.

tailfeathers

It should advance a puck each time the advance button is pushed (you may have to pause for a second or two between advances). It sounds to me like the micro switch in the smoke generator is bad, but I'm no expert. I would contact Bradley customer service, you will find them extremely helpful.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KyNola

You might open the generator back up, press the advance button and see if the arm rotates and successfully makes contact with the micro switch.  The micro switch may have gotten jostled out of alignment so that the arm doesn't make contact each time.

You might research the Forum as this issue has been discussed before.

Daubsnu1

Called customer service today.  Five minute conversation, and they are shipping a new power generator / biscuit unit my way.  Nice!

smokin in Hotlanta!

HELP! First time on the forum and first Bradley. Just got my new Bs611, plugged it in and the smoke generator gets hots hot but does not advance. When I press the button, I do not hear the motor trying to turn. After checking here on the forum, I took the cover off and checked the wires and fuse and found nothing obvious. Any suggestion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk