Big meat weekend

Started by tailfeathers, May 15, 2014, 07:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Going to give the Bradley a workout the next couple days. Soaked a four pound corned beef earlier in the week and applied the rub to make the "quick and easy" pastrami from the recipe site. Also dug a pair of 8.8# butts out of the freezer, they got rubbed this afternoon and they go in tomorrow afternoon for an overnight smoke. When they hit the FTC it will be the pastrami's turn.
The butts
Wrapped and ready
The two butts, although the picture doesn't look like it were exactly the same size. One cost exactly one penny more than the other. As you can see they were purchased before meat prices got crazy. More to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Tenpoint5

Be a busy weekend that's for sure!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

Going to be some tasty eats!

tailfeathers

Away we go......

OldHickory

Looks good so far.  Great price on those butts.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

tailfeathers

Regarding the title of the thread, SWMBO always says I'm "smoking big meat" when I undertake a project like this. She got a kick out of it when I showed her the post.

Saber 4

Looks like you're off to a tasty weekend.

tailfeathers

Sometime last night...All aboard! Butts are through the stall and climbing, wanted to get the pastrami started so moved the butts down a notch, stuck the pastrami in and cranked her up to 225. Added 2 hours of apple/alder smoke

ragweed

tailfeathers

The butts came out perfect...the pastrami smells awesome, out of the FTC and wrapped in plastic wrap for a day, two if I can stand it!I will try to remember a money shot when I slice it up.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Saber 4

Those sure turned out nicely.

WoodlawnSmoker

Wow, that pork looks good.  I've yet to do a pulled pork, thinking it's time.

tailfeathers

Peppery goodness....Glad I ate lunch BEFORE I broke out the slicer. Might be some left for a sammie that way!

tailfeathers

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on May 18, 2014, 10:26:21 AM
Wow, that pork looks good.  I've yet to do a pulled pork, thinking it's time.
WLS-pulled pork is really about the most foolproof thing you can do in a smoker in my opinion. Rub it with your favorite rub, wrap it and in the fridge. Sometime the next day set it out for an hour or two to warm up a bit, preheat the smoker and SG, I preheat to 230F. Put the butt in the smoker and set your heat down to 205, smoke for the first 4 hours. Last thing before bed change the water (I use an old 9x13 cake pan for big smokes like this) and make sure your drip tray isn't plugged. The next day FTC the butt for an hour or two as soon as it passes the fork test, then pull it. You can apply a little more smoke the second day if you like, or go more than four hours the first day. I just prefer not to have the SG working while I'm asleep. These two butts actually passed the fork test at between 175 and 180, as a rule the lower temp you use to cook the the lower the IT will be when they are done. It's a time consuming cook but pretty easy and foolproof. The best part is if you time it right you get to sleep through the stall, that always drives me nuts! I use (and recommend) a Maverick remote thermometer beside the bed so I can check the cabinet temp and IT once or twice during the night, and I set the alarms to wake me up if the temps vary above or below the setpoints.