Cabinet Temp.

Started by smokeymo, May 17, 2014, 03:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeymo

Hi all, I know you have answered this Q in the past but I seem to have tried all the suggestions, hot water, check cables, don't peak etc. Maybe I'm just starting to panic.

Put my first 12lb brisket in at 9:30 am, pre-heated the box nd before putting in the brisket I filled the water pan with boiling water. Following Pachanga, I set the temp to 250f. Well the box temp has not gotten past 220f even when I cranked the setting to 270f. My brisket has been in for 8.5 hours and sits at 165f internal. Is this the stall I have read about? How long does it take to get past it? I am getting anxious cause it smells unbelievable !!!
Any help or calming influences are greatly appreciated

Well I ended up moving the smoker to a less windier location (not that the wind was howling) and started up the smoker element. Then /var/folders/_3/906hcx_12237k3_cl0zk6t200000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1546.JPG out for a bite to eat, came back 1 hour later and the Cab. Temp was up to 230 and the brisket made it past the stall to 185 IT. WOOHOO !!!!  By 8:30pm it was at 198 IT and I brought it in and separated the point from the flat then FTC'd that sucker. Now how long can I hold it there? Its 10pm now so I guess I will have to put it in the fridge tonight after a couple hours of FTC. Should I slice it first?
Any help is appreciated

Habanero Smoker

Hi Smokeymo;

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you had a successful cook.

Through your own experience, you have answered most of your questions, which is often a great way to learn. Your cabinet maintained a good temperature, and the temperature reading depends on where the sensor is located. I go by both temperature and texture, and start testing my brisket when it gets to around 185°F. I use the fork test at the thickest part of the flat, and when the fork slides easily in the meat with no resistance, I take it out.

If you haven't sliced the brisket, the best way I like to reheat is to leave it whole, but reheating it sliced is also just as good. The below link gives great advise to storing and reheating barbeque meats; though I like to reheat at 350°F.

Holding, Storing & Reheating BBQ Meats

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

waycoolcat

Habanero Smoker, thanks for posting the link to "Holding, Storing & Reheating BBQ Meats" that was an informative article. I bookmarked it for future reference.
I want to be a better carnivore!