Hindsight help- Brisket

Started by tyweb69, May 19, 2014, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyweb69

Hey I was wondering if any one an help out here.  I made a brisket yesterday that turned out rather dry.  I am wondering what I could have (or not have) done to to not have it so dry.  It was 5.14 lb market trimmed.  Very little fat on the bottom (not sure if this played a role)    Here is what I did-
Rinsed and pat dry the brisket and injected with low sodium beef broth.  Added rub liberally, wrapped tight and in the fridge for 12 hours.  Took out of fridge for 75 min to get up to room temperature (it was still 38 degrees when put in).  Put in bradley obs (w/ auber) at 220 alternating Maple, Apple, Hickory for 4 hours.  at 1.5, 3 and 4.5 hours I spritzed with apple juice.  I had the auber probe and a wireless probe in two different spots measuring IT.  While neither spot was the exact IT as the other (within 6 degrees) they both rose uniformly as it was smoking.  IT was at 160 at 3 hours, 166 at 4.5 and by 172 at 6.5 hours.  This to me did not seem to be raising as quickly as it should for a smaller brisket (again only 5 lbs).  Removed both probes and inserted in different spots.  Each one shot up to 185 and 205.  At this point I check the meat with a fork and it does not break away like it should so I want to keep it going.  I do so until about 8.75 total hours.  At this point I HAVE to get it out as I did not plan 5 lbs to cook that long.  I FTC it for 4 hours and again it was good flavor but very dry.  I did not boat it and am wondering if that would have made a difference?  Should I have kept it in for 10, 12 14 hours until the meat told me it was done (ie breaking down easily and probes going in and out easily)?
This is my second attempt at brisket (1st one was 14 lb packer, again dry but not this dry).  I want to see what I can/should do differently to get better results.  Ribs, drumsticks, salmon all turn out great but the brisket has not been kind to me yet.  Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks!

MoHuka

I did 3 briskets that did not turn out the way I wanted and I did not foil.  The last one I did I foiled at 150 IT, set the Auber to maintain 225 until the IT hit 190 then drop to 130 and hold. I went to bed and in the morning the Bradley was at 130 and holding and my brisket was perfect.  Every cubic millimeter of the meat was edible..

I am now an advocate of foiling...BTW I was at a BBQ Competition this weekend and almost everyone was using foil for ribs and brisket
MoSmoker