Smoke generator question?

Started by smokealittlesmoke, May 23, 2014, 08:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokealittlesmoke

Just a couple questions about the BS611 smoke Gen is there a way to turn it off and leave the element on in side just to cook? Is it bad for the SG to leave it on for things like 13 - 20 hour cooks if your not smoking with it? Don't feel like burning mine up right away.
Smokealittlesmoke

Habanero Smoker

I don't have that model, but from what I've read you can not shut off the bisquette burner and still have the heating element working. I have the BTIS1 (OBS), and run the generator constantly. In the past I did it for extra heat, and now with my second element mod, I often forget to turn it off during the smoke. This year it will be 10 years old, and I've never had a problem with the generator, motor, micro switch, or heater.

One option, if it is within your budget, is to use a third party heat controller like the Auber PID, or if you have a charcoal temp. controllers like the BBQ Guru, or Stoker, they can be converted to control you Bradley, but this conversion may be more costly than buying or building a single probe PID. With a temperature controller, you will be able to turn off the generator after applying the smoke, and the temperature controller will control the cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokealittlesmoke

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 24, 2014, 01:50:09 AM
I don't have that model, but from what I've read you can not shut off the bisquette burner and still have the heating element working. I have the BTIS1 (OBS), and run the generator constantly. In the past I did it for extra heat, and now with my second element mod, I often forget to turn it off during the smoke. This year it will be 10 years old, and I've never had a problem with the generator, motor, micro switch, or heater.

One option, if it is within your budget, is to use a third party heat controller like the Auber PID, or if you have a charcoal temp. controllers like the BBQ Guru, or Stoker, they can be converted to control you Bradley, but this conversion may be more costly than buying or building a single probe PID. With a temperature controller, you will be able to turn off the generator after applying the smoke, and the temperature controller will control the cabinet temperature.
Thanks a ton Habanero I will look into all of the options and go from there. I guess if you have never had issues that gives me more confidence in it. I am going to wait for the warranty to expire and I might try the second element mod the extra heat would be nice when doing a smoker full of chicken or large chunks of meat to bring her back to temp.
Smokealittlesmoke

Habanero Smoker

I don't know the wiring of that generator, but it may be possible to install a toggle switch that will allow you to cut off power to the bisquette burner, while still maintain power to the element. It depends on how they wired the connections.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)