FTCing baby backs for a party?

Started by amatasjr, May 25, 2014, 01:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatasjr

Hello fellas. Hope everyone is enjoying this Memorial Day weekend. So, I seasoned 3 racks of BBr's on Friday (23rd) with jans rub, had to season them in advance cause I am working the whole weekend. My plan was to use the 3-2-1 method or 2-1.5-.5. Can I follow either of these methods and still FTC after, or will the ribs get mushy because I've sauced uncovered for an hour and now I'm wrapping them to FTC?  Also, any opposition to slather the ribs in mustard and brown sugar during the (2) part of the method? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tskeeter

I think you'd be OK to FTC your ribs.  If you're a little concerned about over cooking, under cook the ribs just a bit, then plan to throw them on the grill for 10 or 15 minutes or so just before serving.  If you sauce when you put the ribs on the grill, your sauce will caramelize a bit.

Can't address putting brown sugar on the ribs when you foil them in step 2, but I have seen it done on some of the BBQ competition TV shows.  So, I'd expect it to work OK.

Habanero Smoker

I'm not a fan of back ribs, but I do make some sticky ribs by adding butter, brown sugar, and honey or agave. I usually slather the ribs with honey mustard prior to applying the rub.

You can use unsalted butter, but if you are making a large batch of ribs I find using Parkay Squeezable Margarine a lot easier to work with. You can adjust the amounts to your liking. Before wrapping the ribs; on the foil, spread 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Next place/spread about 3 - 4 tablespoons of butter or Parkay on top of the brown sugar. If you want to give it some extra sweetness; in addition to the brown sugar add either honey, maple syrup, or agave (it may sound too sweet, but it is not overly sweet). Place the ribs meat side down on the mixture. Next repeat the same process for the bone side of the rib. Wrap tightly, making sure you do not puncture the foil. If the foil is punctured, use another sheet of foil. If you have pans that will fit inside the Bradley, you can do this in pans instead of wrapping in foil, and tightly seal the top of the pan with foil. Be careful when you unwrap, there will be a lot of steam and hot liquid collected. Once unwrapped finish cooking meat side up. About 10 -  15 minutes before they are done apply your sauce. Because the are sweet and sticky, you may want to cut any sauce you will be using with half apple juice. This will give the ribs a nice glaze, and additional layer of flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

amatasjr

just about ready to go in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

Make certain the ends of the ribs are not touching the side or back walls of the tower.  You can run the risk of fat from the ribs running down the walls and starting a grease fire.  Your pic looks as though the ends are sticking out over the sides of the Bradley racks.

If I am incorrect in what I think I am seeing, my apologies.

Saber 4

I like to split racks that sized in half so I can fit 2 halves on one rack and flip them easier and it makes it simple to serve people in half rack servings