Scotch Eggs

Started by srskas, May 25, 2014, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srskas

This is my first recipe post, so I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.  Hopefully I didn't add too many pictures, but I was so darned exited about this I just couldn't help it!   ;D

So I've been wanting to make Scotch Eggs at home for quite some time and thought They might be good smoked.  So began a fun & experiment!

I used:
4 large hard cooked eggs, peeled
1 lb of breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean original)
2 Tbls Worchestershire Sauce
1 Tbls Flour
Couple Grinds of Black Pepper
1 egg beaten
1 cup of Breadcrumbs (I used Panko in hopes of getting them crispy)

I mixed the sausage, Worchestershire, Flour & Pepper together into a sticky mass.  Here is everything ready to assemble. 

Then the eggs get encased in the sausage mixture.  Now it's time for breading:

Dip in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs.  Now they are ready for the smoker!

I smoked them with hickory pucks for 1 hour @ 240 deg.  Then cranked the oven up to 320 for another 20 minutes.
The finished Result:

They turned out absolutely amazing!  The breadcrumbs crisped up nicely, the sausage didn't dry out, and the smoke flavor was just about right and the spice in the sausage seemed more prominent.  Even my wife, who is pretty sick of smoked meats at this point, thought they were awesome, so that must count for something. 

A few improvements for next time: They definitely scream for some maple flavor, either maple smoke or maple sausage, The hard cooked eggs need to be under done by about 2-3 minutes so that the yolks don't dry out during the smoking, and I need to make more than 4!

WoodlawnSmoker

These look really freakin' good, nice job!  If you don't mind, I'm going to copy much of your recipe next time I make some maple breakfast sausage, I think this would be great to make while the rest of the sausages are marinading.  Your temps seem high to me but maybe not, I'll do some reading before making them.  They look really good!

waycoolcat

Wow, I never would have thought of that. I'm going to put them on my "to do" list.
I want to be a better carnivore!

srskas

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on May 25, 2014, 04:23:42 PM
These look really freakin' good, nice job!  If you don't mind, I'm going to copy much of your recipe next time I make some maple breakfast sausage, I think this would be great to make while the rest of the sausages are marinading.  Your temps seem high to me but maybe not, I'll do some reading before making them.  They look really good!

You're probably correct on the temps.  I'm thinking I could have gotten by at 200 on the initial smoke, then max for the last 20.  Scotch Eggs are normally deep fried, so I was trying to get some sort of a crispy skin on the outside. 

Smoker John

Those look really, thanks for sharing your recipe
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712