My First Brisket Pachanga-style(pic heavy)

Started by Dano, May 26, 2014, 06:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Decided to pick up a 12lb packer brisket.  It smelled similar to the 28 day aged steaks I get so I believe it was already aged from when it was taken from the cryovac which was even better!  There was a decent fat cap so I didn't bother trimming.  I figure I'd let the guests remove the fat if they didn't want it.  Personally I thought it tasted excellent with a cold beverage.  :)

Put a dry rub on it courtesy of the Pachanga recipe and let it sit for 24 hours in the fridge.  Lathered with apple juice/mustard/worchester just before going into the smoke.

The players.  I used a pretty even split of apple, mesquite and hickory.  More mesquite up front and apple towards the end, separated by hickory.

8 hours so far low and slow.  Smoke generator set to 220F the whole time.  I put apple juice and worster in a spray bottle and soaked it down every time I changed the water pan(3-4 hours).  I used boiling kettle water to help with the steam and help with heat loss.  I alternated the damper from fully open at the start to 3/4 open towards the end.

I pulled it at 16:30pm the next day.  Total smoke was about 10 hours.  I know all the threads about diminishing returns but it smelled so good in the early afternoon I just kept 'er going!  FTC for 2 hours and it soaked up all the drippings with very little liquid left in the foil. 

Point and flat separated.  So tender I could have cut it with a spoon.

It was fork tender when I removed it, and was doubly so while carving.  This was by far the best brisket I've ever had.  A league of it's own even compared to the smoke houses around here.  All the guests agreed and the bbq sauce on the table was never touched.  Planning on doing two more in a month for a birthday party.

And I didn't forget the hounds...  :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

ragweed

That looks fantastic!!  Congratulations on a job well done.

waycoolcat

Great job, it looks perfect. The pictures are inspirational, I haven't made brisket yet.
I want to be a better carnivore!

tailfeathers

Great job. I guess I'd better dig a packer out of the freezer!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on May 26, 2014, 06:54:20 AM
That looks fantastic!!  Congratulations on a job well done.

Ditto!!! Looks amazing

Smoker John

Man that looks great, my mouth is watering
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

TMB

Damn that is purtty!   Wish I could make one like that  :-\   Mine always seem to have to much bark and dry on the outside
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

WoodlawnSmoker

That looks great!  You said total smoke time was 10 hours, what was the total cook time?

TedEbear

Quote from: Dano on May 26, 2014, 06:24:18 AM
It was fork tender when I removed it, and was doubly so while carving.  This was by far the best brisket I've ever had.  A league of it's own even compared to the smoke houses around here.  All the guests agreed and the bbq sauce on the table was never touched.  Planning on doing two more in a month for a birthday party.

Sounds like a huge success.  What was the chamber temp you cooked it at and what was the IT of the brisket when you removed it?

Dano

Thanks all!   Total cook time was 22:30 - 16:30 next day so 18 hours for just over 12lbs. Plus about 2 hours to FTC. Internal temp was 190F at the point where it meets the flat so the flat I'm guessing was pushing 200F. Digital smoke generator was set to 220F the entire time and I do not use an Aubrens or other pid.  I know the fluctuation on the SG can be up to 20F but I use 2 digital probes(one wireless!) to monitor.   I can believe the drying out, I think the thorough basting every 3-4 hours helped. I know it was a long night, up every 3 hours, but it was worth it in the end. 

Dano

Let me also note that there was zero bark. All the black on the outside was very moist.  I know the smoke time was roughly 9 hours give or take a few bisquettes but the basting/spraying and FTC for the 2 hours I believe kept it moist. 

Pachanga

Righteous looking smoke, Dano.

The color, moistness and tenderness say it all through pics.

Especially like the part about the hounds!!!  I'll bet everybody had a tail wagging good time.  My dawgs enjoyed a little barbacoa and butt today.  Ran the Bradley for 48 hours straight; 6 butts, 35 lbs of beef checks.

Thanks for sharing.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

Caneyscud

Beef Cheeks - now there's a man who knows what to put in a tortilla!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Dano

Jacktucky

Man I would pay someone to come over and teach me how to get brisket right