My First Brisket Pachanga-style(pic heavy)

Started by Dano, May 26, 2014, 06:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hey Jacktucky, here's a few common points I gathered from the many pages I searched that all seemed to contribute to a successful smoke.  Of course everyone has their own methods but since I had great success the first time(maybe it's just luck! 8)) here's a common trend I saw from all of the posts I researched. 

Brisket selection - mine was very 'bendy'.  I could hold one side of it and it would mostly flop over in an 'n'
Boiling water - use hot kettle water in the water pan and change it out for fresh H2O when you clear the burnt pucks every 3/4 hours
Spray(or baste) - every 3-4 hours when you empty the water pan and fill with fresh boiling water
Vent - full open for entire smoke production.  I turned it to 3/4 open for the last 4 hours as the smoke was off at that point
Rotate rack - I did this I think twice, at the 6-7 hour mark then again at the 13-14 hour mark( every other baste/water pan change)

Hope this helps!  I'll be doing 2-3 at a time come mid-June so will post on that on a new thread to see if the above holds true for multiple briskets.  This was only a single brisket so easier to manage for the first time 'round.  Should be hot enough here by then that I won't have to worry about heat recovery much.

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)