Hello from Cincinnati, Ohio

Started by Scott45044, May 28, 2014, 07:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott45044

Ordered the BS611 and 3 different woods (mesquite, maple, and apple) last night from Amazon.  Will be here Thursday ;D.  Planning on getting the smoker set up and seasoned in preparation of smoking a pork shoulder on Sunday.  I have several rub recipes printed and trying to decide on which one to make.  I have downloaded and read the manual and feel like I have a good handle on the initial build and set up.  Hopefully all goes well and I will post some pics and a review next week.

Scott

Edit:
12 hours in........
Scott and Cathy
1st smoker: BS611

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from N E Minnesota.  When you set up make sure all plugs are firmly seated. They may seem ok but push again to make sure.  Try it out .  Give yourself plenty of time for smoking, ITS LOW AND SLOW!!
Check out the recipe site. www.susanminor.com
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

tailfeathers

Hi and welcome from South Dakota. Lots of good people hanging around here that are more than happy to help, so feel free to ask any questions that pop up. Oh, and we LOVE pics!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Scott, to avoid not having your shoulder ready for dinner on Sunday, I suggest that you allow two hours of smoking/cooking time per pound.  If your shoulder gets done well before you plan to serve it, no problem.  Just wrap it in foil, then in an old bath towel, and put it in a small cooler (or even the microwave) until you are ready to pull it for serving.  Many folks here foil, towel, cooler (FTC) their shoulder for an hour or so as a matter of practice.  And I've found that after more than four hours, the shoulder is still too warm to comfortably pull with your hands.

waycoolcat

Welcome from PA and good luck on your first smoke Sunday.
I want to be a better carnivore!

Scott45044

Scott and Cathy
1st smoker: BS611

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, have fun with it and remember if you're looking you ain't cooking

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  And one more thing, keep your top vent open to achieve higher temps and release moisture that can cause "black rain".