New member - intro

Started by kly stron, July 12, 2006, 04:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kly stron

Have owned a Bradley stainless steel for some 18 months now. Came across the forum a while back and been skulking around and reading up and now decided to get my feet wet. Find the forum very helpful but sometimes a bit mind boggling regarding U.S. cuts of meat but i'll figure it out.
Concentrated mainly on hot smoking fish (luv fish) up to now but have had great success with topside of beef and Cumbrian sausages lately.
Believe I'm a "near" neigbour of Manxman, i'm located S.W. coast of Cumbria.
there are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.

asa

Welcome to the forum kly stron. We'll be interested to hear about your beef, sausage, and fish recipes.

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Oldman

Greetings and Welcome~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

kly stron,

Welcome to the forum. Given your sign-on, perhaps we have something in common. I'd ask if you worked for Varian, but it looks like you may be doing "valve" work overseas. :D :D :D

Great forum; looking forward to your posts.

Arcs_n_Sparks

kly stron

Arcs_n_Sparks

Not quite sure as to what you're refering to but I recently retired after 43 years as an old fashioned radar tech. Even worked on a modified 1941 vintage radar which I managed to nurse 5 years of life out of.
Recipes for fish, beef and sausage......nothing fancy, no rubs, or marinades. About 30 minutes brine for fish, 16-20 hours for the beef, then hot smoked. As for the sausage, my village butcher would be highly upset if I messed around with that! The beauty about most Cumbrian sausage is it has enough spices, etc. to stand on its own.

manxman

Hi kly stron and welcome to the forum.

Yes, we live just across the Irish Sea from each other, whereabouts on the coast do you live? We can probably see each other on a clear day!!

I bought my SS BS about the same time as you by all accounts, I got mine primarily for fish and have spent a lot of time hot and cold smoking a variety of Irish Sea offerings.

However I have also moved on to smoking a range of meats and other items such as cheese as well. Took me a bit of time to learn about US cuts of meat because as you say, you need that understanding to get the most from the forum. I am by no means an expert but I know a lot more than when I started and I also have a very understanding butcher who will spend time trying to help me!

Nice to see people from this side of the pond posting on the forum.... and Cumbrian (Cumberland?) sausage is one of my favourites!
Manxman

kly stron

Manxman

Live near a small village called Ravenglass, central between Barrow in Furness and Whitehaven.

manxman

QuoteRavenglass

Nice part of the world, sea on one side and mountains on the other? I have only been to Ravenglass itself the once but have been in the general area a few times.

Seem to remember in one of my Manx history books it talks about smugglers from the Isle of Man using Ravenglass to bring contraband into England in days gone by when the later was a bigger port. (2 or 3 river estuary's merge there?)
Manxman

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: kly stron on July 13, 2006, 12:51:42 AM
Arcs_n_Sparks

Not quite sure as to what you're refering to but I recently retired after 43 years as an old fashioned radar tech.

Yes, I was referring to klystrons. The Varian brothers (and the company of that name) are credited as the inventors. The "valve" reference was in relationship to vacuum tubes. Worked on multi-megawatt RF systems in my youth.

Arcs_n_Sparks

iceman

Welcome aboard kly stron.