Pork Butt Prep

Started by Awell76, May 29, 2014, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awell76

So I just bought about a 7 pound pork should butt from Food Lion.  Bit of a shock but they seem to have decent meats.  One of the few places I can get flat irons actually other than a butcher.  So my question is when do I start to apply my rub.  I am planning to have it done some time on saturday.  Should I make the rub and rub it in on Friday night then before putting it in smoker apply more or should I just apply right before putting it in smoker?  Thinking I will start the smoke late friday night or early saturday morning.  First time so any suggestions would be awesome.  Wish me luck.  I will be sure to document with lots of pictures.

Wildcat

I apply the rub just before going into the smoker. You might get a little more flavor by doing it the day before. I personally like to use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and then apply the rub. I have also used CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) with great results. Either work but I like the end result with the EVOO better. I smoke for 4 hours with Apple and try to maintain an average cabinet temp of 205F. Many on here prefer 220 cabinet temp. Either way works. I recommend cooking until you reach 190 internal meat temp if you go with the higher cabinet temp or 175 at the lower temp. At that point, periodically check for doneness by inserting a fork and twisting it. If it twists easily it is done. This is assuming you want to make pulled pork. After the cook I generally tent in foil on the counter until it cools enough to handle. IMHO this give it plenty of rest. Many desire to FTC for awhile. With butts the only time I FTC is if it will be 3 or 4 hours until dinner time.

Do not rush it. It will hit a stall stage for several hours (at what temp depends on the cabinet temp you are cooking at). The meat temp will stop rising (and may even fall a little) during this period. Let it work its magic. As long as you are exposing the meat to 190 or higher it will all turn out just fine.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tskeeter

And, for a difference of opinion, I'm in the apply the rub then let it sit for 24 hours school.  To further the gap, I'm of the bare nekked rub school.  No EVOO, no CYM.  Tried them both and decided to go without.  Just a heavy application of Jan's Rub, wrap in plastic wrap, and into the fridge until tomorrow.

Just goes to show, there is no right way.  There is only the way you like best.

Awell76

Thank you kindly gentlemen.  Great advise!  Always thought the CYM was an odd idea but you do see a lot of people talking about it and it intrigues me.  I am thinking I might give it some rub time tomorrow and then add another liberal coating before going in.  Just got my maverick thermometer in the mail so I will be keeping an eye on the internal temp.  But as rough guess if cooking at a little over 205 to 220 range we are looking at 10 to 12 hours?

Wildcat

More like 12 to 20 hours.

Quote from: tskeeter on May 29, 2014, 04:55:09 PM
And, for a difference of opinion, I'm in the apply the rub then let it sit for 24 hours school.  To further the gap, I'm of the bare nekked rub school.  No EVOO, no CYM.  Tried them both and decided to go without.  Just a heavy application of Jan's Rub, wrap in plastic wrap, and into the fridge until tomorrow.

Just goes to show, there is no right way.  There is only the way you like best.
No difference of opinion. Opinions and recommendations were asked and in an attempt to provide assistance I provided a couple of varieties that worked and what I personally favored. You are correct in that there is no one correct way, there are multiple ways of preparing food. It is all about taste. How one gets there is irrelevant as long as one gets there.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MoHuka

I like to paint a coat of molasses then apply the rub.  I think the molasses enhances the bark
MoSmoker

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Awell76 on May 29, 2014, 05:42:57 PM
Thank you kindly gentlemen.  Great advise!  Always thought the CYM was an odd idea but you do see a lot of people talking about it and it intrigues me.  I am thinking I might give it some rub time tomorrow and then add another liberal coating before going in.  Just got my maverick thermometer in the mail so I will be keeping an eye on the internal temp.  But as rough guess if cooking at a little over 205 to 220 range we are looking at 10 to 12 hours?

Awell76

As the others have pointed out there really isn't a wrong way, just the method that you prefer. The only real purpose for the olive oil or the cheap yellow mustard is to allow a little more rub to stick to the butt. It really doesn't add any flavor to it. For me I usually use olive oil simply because it's less of a mess. I have yet to use molasses and that has always intrigued me, not sure why I haven't yet.

As far as time goes your probably going to be more in the 16 to 18 hour range. I would allow yourself around 20 hours and if it finishes early just do the FTC thing to hold it until closer to serving time. You'll find some butts of similar size will finish a little quicker and some will seem to take forever. It's the nature of the beast and as they say... it's done when it's done.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OldHickory

You have received some good advise, and I agree with the comments of Mr. Walleye.  I never use molasses, too sweet for me.  Low and slow is the key for good pork butt....  Good luck.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.