Set up, seasoned and ready to smoke some meat

Started by Scott45044, May 30, 2014, 04:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott45044

Received my new BS611 from Amazon yesterday.  Packaged very well and arrived with no dings or dents!  Assembled in no time and put an hour of smoke on her @ 150 deg F to season per the manual.  Will be smoking an 8lb pork shoulder on Sunday as my initial smoke.   I may throw some bacon wrapped chicken legs in with it.

Scott and Cathy
1st smoker: BS611

NorthShoreMN

Plan on plenty of time for the smoke, shoulders can take a long time.
Take pictures!!
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Scott45044

I am planning on 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound??  Sound about right?  What would you suggest for amount of smoke?  about 4 hrs? 
Scott and Cathy

tailfeathers

Scott, first let me say welcome from South Dakota! As to your question, I would allow all of 2 hrs/lb for your butt. I like to tell people that you can't start to early, just don't start to late! You have a very wide time window if you use the FTC method. In case you are unaware, that is foil, towel, cooler. When your butt passes the fork test (insert fork and twist, if it turns easily its done) remove it from the smoker, seal in foil. Then wrap the foiled meat in an old bath towel and place it into the smallest available cooler that will hold it. Put a few layers of newspaper on top and close the cooler. The meat will stay hot for a LONG time that way. You may find that even after 4 hours it is still to hot to handle comfortably with bare hands. When you are ready, remove from FTC, pull your pork and chow down. In fact I most often do my cook in advance, FTC and pull my pork then refrigerate it, reheat in a crock pot when ready to eat. Lots of methods and no real right or wrong way, mostly a matter of personal preference and what works for YOU. As for how long to apply smoke, again its a matter of taste but I would say that 4 hours is the best starting point. You can then adjust for more or less smoke when you do your next cook based on whether you think the smoke flavor was to weak, to strong or just right. Take a few notes as you go along, it makes it easier to adjust anything you think you want to tweak the next time. Have fun and good luck!
TF
(Paul)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

NorthShoreMN

Sorry I didn't get back with a reply earlier but Tailfeathers covered it very well.
Many leave their vents open all the way.  Try to keep unit out of wind. 
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

tailfeathers

My vent is full open ALL the time no matter what's in the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott45044

Here it is 12 hours in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Scott and Cathy

TedEbear

Looking good so far.  What's the current IT?

Scott45044

Was 156 when I took the pic. Up to 174 now

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Scott and Cathy

WoodlawnSmoker

This is looking spectacular so far.  Can't wait to see the finished photos!

Scott45044

18 hours total cook time. Took it out when IT was 195 deg F. Turned out awesome. Everyone loved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Scott and Cathy

Scott45044

More pictures of the final product.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Scott and Cathy

tailfeathers

Saber 4

JimRhino

Carpe Que,
Jim Rhino

Original Bradley Smoker, Good-One Chuckwagon, ProQ Smoker/Grill, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle