First Smoke

Started by Awell76, May 30, 2014, 03:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awell76

Just put in 7 pound pork butt about an hour ago.  Went with a molasses coating with a lysanders pork rub mixed with brown sugar, Cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.  Heat setting at 220 because it seemed like if I had the setting at 210 it dropped down to 190.  I am sure this will be a learning process.  Smoking like a charm and good heat.  Was a little worried because I have read some about issues with the smoker and box keeping heat but mine seems to be doing well so far.  Famous last words.  Pictures coming soon.

Smoker John

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Awell76

About 5 hours in.  Meat is at 149.  Box at roughly 220.  Gave a spray of apple juice when I changed out the brick pan.  Maybe another 1 or 2 at the most of smoke left.  Thinking I lower the temp overnight.  Is it normal for the pork to get up to 150 that early in the cook?

tailfeathers

It'll stall for a couple hours pretty soon. I do my butts at 205, so I would say it wouldn't hurt to lower your temp overnight. Generally the lower the cook temp the lower the IT will be when the meat passes the fork test. Did two butts a couple weeks ago, both were done at between 175  & 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

I also don't run my SG overnight. I would shut it off and put a couple more hours of smoke on it in the a. m. If needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awell76

Yeah I did not either.  My wife is not a huge fan of smoke flavor so I did not smoke it as long as I might if it were just me.  Hit the wall last night at about 150 for quite some time.  Woke up this morning right around 175.  Looking and smelling awesome.  Once I hit 195 going to pull it off check the fork test and wrap her up.  Thanks for all the help.  Will have pictures soon.

tailfeathers

If you ended up lowering the temp last night I would give it a fork test before it gets to 195, it may be done before it gets to that IT.