Double-smoking cheese

Started by BoxcarBetts, May 31, 2014, 12:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxcarBetts

What's the general rule for applying the second smoke on double-smoked cheese?  How soon after the first smoke should you do it and should you give it less smoke?  More?  How long should it rest after the second smoke?

I've got a couple of blocks that have been resting for a month and a couple more to smoke. I was thinking of trying to double-smoke some of it.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

tailfeathers

No clue, never have tried it!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

BoxcarBetts

I've seen Balderson double-smoked cheddar in the stores... Seems like a pretty good idea to me!

Jim O

I've smoked a lot of cheese,but never seen a need to double smoke,but that's just me !
Let us know how it turns out.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

WoodlawnSmoker

Interesting that you posted this today.  I've never felt the need to double smoke my cheese, every one has been pretty good.  But just today I opened up an OKA cheese that I smoked 5 weeks ago.  The smoke hardly got to it but I'm almost certain it was because it has a rind and I didn't cut it open before smoking.  Now that it's cut I'm going to put it back in for another go. with some surface area to the cheese.

BoxcarBetts

All right, so I decided to take a brick of hickory smoked white cheddar that has fully "ripened" and throw it in with some havarti and Monterey Jack.

Top left is the cheddar with the havarti next to it, Monterey Jack on the bottom rack.

Obviously I didn't use enough ice in the drip tray!  Ambient temp was about 25 deg... Forgot to check cabinet temp before I opened it after the 2-hr smoke cycle.  The cheddar fared quite well though.  Not sure if the previous smoke had something to do with it or if it was just because cheddar is a semi-hard cheese.

Put the havarti and the Monterey Jack back together a bit... Got some great colour!  I'll report back in a month on the double-smoked cheddar!

pensrock

Cheese-ickles  :D
I have seen pictures of these on here before.  :o ;D
I never did it myself but got close a few times.  :)
It will taste good as long as too much oil did not separate and make it dry.

BoxcarBetts

I've done it once before with Monterey Jack, but it still turned out well!  Just funny looking.  They did get a bit oily, yes, but I think they'll be okay.

BoxcarBetts

Sorry it 'a been so long, but I figured I'd update you on the double-smoked cheddar.

In my opinion, although it turned out great, it's probably not worth the 2 month wait since single-smoking tastes so good as it is!  Perhaps it's not necessary to wait the full month before the second smoke, I dunno.  One thing I did notice is that this cheese (old white cheddar) came out very crumbly, which was kind of annoying for how I wanted to eat it.  Here are the pics: