(STILL A) Sausage Newbie

Started by tailfeathers, June 05, 2014, 02:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I thought the casings looked pretty wrinkled so I put a big stock pot of boiling water on the stove and threw the sausages in (a couple at a time) for about 20 seconds, then took them back out with a tongs and let them dry on towels before I vac sealed them. It seemed to plump them up a bit and smooth out the casings.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pikeman_95

I would suggest that you don't use boiling water but rather take the water to 165 and give them the same 20 minutes. The boiling water will melt the fat near the edge and cause fat out. At 165 you will draw in the moisture with out melting the fat. They will plump out even more.
kc

tailfeathers

Good to know. Thanks!!!I'm looking at getting one of those Anova sous vide cookers for just these kinds of uses.

pikeman_95

Take a look at a over sized Sous vide. Think turkey fryer for a mid sized cooker.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34923

tailfeathers

Quote from: pikeman_95 on June 09, 2014, 03:21:13 PM
Take a look at a over sized Sous vide. Think turkey fryer for a mid sized cooker.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34923
LOL. WAAAAAY out of my league! I just got done pre-ordering the Anova cooker, I think it'll suit my needs just fine! ;)

Saber 4

Quote from: pikeman_95 on June 07, 2014, 07:43:54 PM
I would say that that sausage does not look like they were made by a sausage newbie. Looks great.

I agree, that's some really nice looking sausage TF!

tailfeathers

Quote from: pikeman_95 on June 09, 2014, 01:44:32 PM
I would suggest that you don't use boiling water but rather take the water to 165 and give them the same 20 minutes. The boiling water will melt the fat near the edge and cause fat out. At 165 you will draw in the moisture with out melting the fat. They will plump out even more.
kc
Kirby-
I missed it when I first read your post, but I only put them in boiling water for 20 SECONDS, not minutes. They were in the smoker to IT of 155, I just gave them a few seconds in boiling water to tighten up the casings. I think after I get the sous vide cooker I will probably finish them in a water bath.

pikeman_95

I missed the 20 seconds part also. I still think you need to keep the temp at 165 and then you can let them sit in the water a little longer to pickup a little more moisture. Mine take about 15 minutes to go from about 105 out of the smoker and then 155 core temp in the bath. The sausage is moist and tight.
kc

tailfeathers

That's kinda my plan after I get the new cooker. As soon as the smoking ends I'll finish them in a hot water bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk