Eye of Round smoked meat or pastrami (with photos)

Started by Smokeville, June 02, 2014, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

rajzer

Your beef hams look great!  Slice thin and pile on some Polish or German rye bread bread with a generous dollop of mustard.  Sure wish I could get eye of round for $2 here.  I make breasola and bündnerfleisch with it.

Smokeville

Quote from: rajzer on June 08, 2014, 07:59:22 AM
Your beef hams look great!  Slice thin and pile on some Polish or German rye bread bread with a generous dollop of mustard.  Sure wish I could get eye of round for $2 here.  I make breasola and bündnerfleisch with it.

That $2/lb was a one week special.... limit of 2 per day per family. I should have gone back every day.

I am really looking forward to getting out the slicer. I'll post some photos.

tailfeathers

I'd have been there every day getting two for as long as the sale lasted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

That is some nice Montreal smoked meat. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but did you cut across the grain? From the picture it looks like you cut with the grain, which would make it seem tougher.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 08, 2014, 12:53:09 PM
That is some nice Montreal smoked meat. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but did you cut across the grain? From the picture it looks like you cut with the grain, which would make it seem tougher.

It was across the grain. It was easier to tell which way the grain was going when I cut each big piece in two.

Here is the sliced result....

I was "tickled pink" with the result. Not the best by a long shot, but certainly respectable.

Smokeville

And, one other point, some of the pieces had more fat cap than others, and you could taste the difference in those. Fat is tasty!

Habanero Smoker

Lately I've been frying up my fatty pieces of pastrami to lightly brown them; being careful not to over cook them, and make PLT's (Pastrami, Lettuce, & Tomato). I'm sure you will get just as good results from you Montreal Meat. I use honey mustard instead of mayonnaise. Give it a try, they taste really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

pjplovedog

Yummy that looks sensational! 
Good to know about that method, I don't exactly know what "Montreal" meat is but I think I want to get to know it!
:)

KyNola

Pastrami, beef hams, Montreal Smoked Meat, call it what you will, I will just call it delicious looking.  Very nicely done Smokeville.

Saber 4

Smokeville

Just got back online after a few days away....

I'll post the recipe and directions.