Heresy or just how I do 'cue

Started by takem01, June 01, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

Ok.  Please don't throw fireballs........
This is just how I found to work best for me.
First, let me say that I use the BPS, so 20 hours in the smoker just won't work in my case.
Second, let me thank all y'all for the tips and guidance I've gotten from the forum.
So here goes.......
I generally do 3-4 butts in my BPS at a time.
I've done my own rubs and used commercial.  Really like Butt Rub.  But it's not about the rub.
Rub them butts and let them sit 3-4 hours to marry flavors and just come to room temp (ABSOLUTELY necessary!).
Put the butts onto the smoker racks (2 per) and smoke for 4 hours, approaching and maintaining 250 degrees.  I read here numerous times that the butts will take smoke for only about 4 hours.  So here comes heresy.
After 4 hours of smoke, I transfer the butts to roasting pans, cover with foil and put them into the oven until I get an internal temp of 195.  I then turn the oven off and let them sit overnight.
Next morning, I pull the pork and use 1-2 qts of the pot liquor to make the best dang baked beans y'all ever hooked a tooth around.  Of course, some of the pork joins the beans with molasses, tomato, onion, etc.

Saber 4

Sounds good to me, but then I'm not known for following all the rules all the time, best thing about being on here is it's a "whatever works best for you kind of place" except of course for food safety issues.

GusRobin

I was with you all the way until the part about leaving the meat in the oven overnight. I would be concerned about food safety.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

Quote from: GusRobin on June 01, 2014, 06:29:27 PM
I was with you all the way until the part about leaving the meat in the oven overnight. I would be concerned about food safety.

Good point.

KyNola

You only need to post this in one location on the Forum to receive replies.

I raised the same food safety concerns where it was posted in the Hot Smoking and BBQ section of the Forum.

watchdog56

I think he missed the part that the oven was set a certain temp?

pondee

Posted by: takem01
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:27:21 pm
"After 4 hours of smoke, I transfer the butts to roasting pans, cover with foil and put them into the oven until I get an internal temp of 195.  I then turn the oven off and let them sit overnight."

Posted by: Saber 4
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:00:44 pm » Insert Quote
Sounds good to me, but then I'm not known for following all the rules all the time, best thing about being on here is it's a "whatever works best for you kind of place" except of course for food safety issues.

I guess it would come down to how low the oven gets to while resting over night after he turns the oven off.  Would be akin to FTC while waiting to pull and serve, no?  After he turns the oven off, if the oven does not drop below 140*, or the meat does not drop below 140*, he should be OK, right?

Other than that, finishing the cook in your house oven should be fine.  Once the smoke portion is done the Bradley is nothing more than a low temp oven.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!