BABY BACKS

Started by Jim O, June 06, 2014, 09:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

Want to do some baby backs but don't have time for the 3-2-1. Any reason I can't cold smoke the bbr's for about 2 hrs with hickory,then throw on the bbq until ready ?
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

tskeeter

I wouldn't recommend quickly grilling ribs.  Low and slow = tender and moist.  Hot and quick = tough, chewy, and a little dry.  Some things just aren't intended to be fast.  And ribs are one of those things. 

A day when you have more time might be better.

Now, I do do quick ribs.  But I take a different approach.  Smoke and cook the ribs when I have time.  Vacuum seal and freeze.  Defrost in the fridge.  My preference is to reheat in the oven at about 200 - 225 degrees.  Until a bit of fat starts to render and accumulate where the bones touch the sheet pan.  Takes about 30 - 45 minutes.

If I'm really in a rush, and am willing to sacrifice some tenderness, I will also reheat ribs in the microwave.  I use the defrost function.  (Full power makes the ribs tough.)  And I use the fat rendering rule to know when the ribs are hot.  I plan on about 15 -20 minutes in the microwave.  And keep an eye on the ribs so they don't cook and get tough.

By the way, for baby back ribs, 3-2-1 times are reduced.  I believe several folks use 2.5-1-.5, or something close, for baby back ribs.  If you surf through some of the rib threads, you'll find more definitive specifics.

Tenpoint5

3-1-1 is where a lot of folks are doing Baby Backs. Tskeeter has given some good options.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Cooking baby backs hot and fast can be done, but you need to monitor them closely. With baby backs you are working with muscle which the connective tissue is not as tough, and one that is leaner than a spare ribs. So you can cook them hot and fast and get good results. There is a compition team here on the east cost that does them hot and fast, and is consistently getting great scores. He cooks them at 325°F or above; from start to finish, and consistently achieves competition type of ribs.

He keeps his times secret, but of course you need to make adjustments in the 3-2-1 times. You may want to take a look at the BBQ-Brethren Forum. Competition teams post there, and you may find some information of hot & fast baby back ribs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

The short answer to your question is yes, you can cold smoke your ribs and then go straight to your grill to cook them.  Your ribs from the grill will most likely not have the same texture as ribs cooked low and slow but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Jim O

Ya KyNola,I figured as much. Thanks. Sometimes speed is of the essence!
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

Have you cooked your ribs yet. Today I was on the Brethren, and if you cook them at around 325° - 350°F, the average time seems to be around 2.5 hours. I've had baby backs cooked at 350°F and they were competition tender, which is bite of the bone with a slight tug, so I'm sure you will be satisfied with your results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokealittlesmoke

I've modified the 3-2-1 method when I don't have a full 6 hours.  I've done 2-1-.5 they turned out good, just make sure they get wrapped in foil for at least the hour. I've shortened foil time to .5 and also 45 min and they seem to be a little tougher than we like. 1 hour gets them so you don't have to chew them off the bone, just my two cents. Good luck and happy smoking! Also I have never tried doing ribs above 225 between 200 and 225 is where I cook mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Smokealittlesmoke

KyNola

Am I reading correctly that you are cooking ribs for a total of 3.5 hours at a temp of 200-225 with one of those hours wrapped in foil and they are done?  What cut of ribs are you cooking?

smokealittlesmoke

Baby back, yeah first time I ever tried them it was 2-1-.5. They were good not as good as if I let them go 3-2-1. But the ribs reach 160 after the two hours of smoke. Then wrap them and add beer or apple juice. Then steam for an hour, and then back in for .5 to firm back up. I don't do this often I am a firm believer in the 3-2-1 method. I have very good ribs come out of that bradley.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Smokealittlesmoke

KyNola

I am more than a little stunned that you can get baby back ribs to 160 degrees after only 2 hours in a temperature of 200-225.  I have never been able to do that but I'll yield to you.