Question on this sausage recipe?

Started by pjplovedog, June 10, 2014, 12:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

Hi all,
I want to try a tarragon/herb chicken sausage recipe and I found this one : http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Chicken-tarragon.pdf
I plan to keep this a fresh, not smoked sausage.  So, my question is there is some Cure #1 in this recipe, even though it is for a fresh sausage.  Can I omit that?  Or, what do you think the purpose is including that as an ingredient in a fresh sausage? To add a "hammy" flavor?
Maybe I am missing something here.... ???
Thanks!

tailfeathers

PJPLD-
I would guess you could omit it being it is a fresh sausage, but I am far from an expert. I will say, however that every recipe I have tried from Poli's site has turned out very well and I have followed them pretty much to the letter. Maybe you could split the batch and make half with and half without cure and see which you prefer?
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

For that particular sausage the nitrite is probably added to give the sausage a "hot dog" type of flavor that we are accustomed to. You can omit it, and bump the salt to 4 teaspoons. During your taste test you may or may not have to bump up some other flavors, for the lack of flavor from the nitrites. Or do as tailfeathers has suggested, and split the batch in half. I make a fresh sausage in which sometimes I will add cure #1 to give it a more of a hot dog flavor, and sometimes I make it without the nitrites. That sausage I don't have to adjust any ingredients when I leave the nitrites out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pjplovedog

Thank you both.  That makes sense, that the recipe is geared a little bit toward a "hot dog" style and flavor. 
I'm wanting to do hot dogs, but I'll not be doing them from chicken, I'll do a more traditional beef and pork type.  I am thinking this recipe isn't quite what I'm going for flavor-wise or texture, so I'll probably not experiment with this one. 
I thank you for the input!  I think you saved me a bunch of time and energy... 

:)

Tenpoint5

You can also send Len an Email. He is really good about answering you, if you have a question. That takes all of the guess work out of the equation.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Search through the sausage section. Someone posted an interesting chicken sausage. I believe it was a Thai style sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cobra6223

Ragweed has an awesome chicken brat recipe on here that tastes as good after freezaing as when it is fresh.