Homade cold smoker

Started by topguntransfer, June 11, 2014, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topguntransfer

This was easier than I thought it would be. The most expensive parts were the electric/gas dryer vent duct work and the box that my wife got from an online order!!

Some flashing I had laying around. I rolled it up and put it in the smoke inlet and let it expand. Marked it and cut enough for overlap and used some industrial spray adhesive to make the duct connector.

Pulled the foil back. Cut it about every1/2" or so to make lay out flat. Coated the flashing with adhesive and folded the foil up against the duct. Put the leading end onto a flat piece of cardboard the glued that to the box. Just felt better about having a little reinforcement.

The ambient temp. was 94F. The 101F was as high as the tower got. I think this will be helpful when smoking at the lower temps.

Cinder blocks used just to keep things tight. Sealed box with cellophane shipping tape. It can be cut away instead of pulling and tearing the cardboard. All of the flaps were glued except the one with the label. I used a smaller bowl for the biscuits, as I will use the original in the tower for dripping and "flavored water". The generator is producing full smoke at this point. You can see a little leakage at the tower and some between the box and generator.

I hope some one can benefit. I don't know how long it will last. I will post about that and any problems. Please feel fre to comment or ask questions. I would like to thank Habanero Smoker for his help and ideas.
Ken & Cyn
Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)

Salmonsmoker

That looks pretty much like my first cold smoke mod. I think my box had some different labels on it though. ::) best to keep it out of the rain. ;) ;)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

KyNola

You might want to get a thermometer that will more accurately monitor the temp inside your tower.  At 101F you are over the high end of what some folks consider cold smoking.

Nice job on the cold smoke set up.

topguntransfer

Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)

tskeeter

Regarding KyNola's comment about the temperature being on the high side, it looks like Topgun has quite a bit more dryer vent that could be extended.  Stretching out the vent a bit might be all it would take to drop the temp a few degrees, if he wants.

pensrock

Yep the further away the generator is from the tower the cooler it will be.  :)

tailfeathers

Gonna be hard to cold smoke anything on a day when the ambient temp is 94F no matter what you do! I would agree with Kynola, a maverick or some other type of thermometer would be in order to get a more accurate tower temperature reading.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

You have a nice setup. As others have stated, moving the box further away from the cabinet will help. Looks like you have plenty of shade. Smoking during the cooler parts of the day, such as the late evening or early morning hours, when it is cooler will help.

The leakage from the top of the cabinet is minor, but if you want to attempt to make the seal tighter, the next time you use the cabinet, after it has warmed up and the seal is more flexible, gently pull and stretch the seal at the area it is leaking. This sometimes improves the seal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

topguntransfer

Thanks Habanero, and every one. The controller is as far away as I could do for now. I will have to make some extension cables for the thermocouple and the heat strip. Mostly wanted to see if I was on the right track. It was in the hottest part of the day and I don't mind smoking at hours that are conducive to good smoke. What else have I got to do "Watch TV"? I don't think so.
Thanks again everyone. I will keep you posted on the success of the box.
Happy Smoking.

tailfeathers

Another thing that I do for cold smoking is keep a few 1/2 gallon milk jugs of ice in the freezer. If my cabinet temp starts creeping over 90F I put one or two jugs of ice in the V tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

I should clarify that when I say cold smoke and 90f I am referring to smoking cheese. 90 is probably to high to be considered a safe temp for cold smoking meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tskeeter

Topgun, back in the olden days I remember that my Dad used to "paint" corrugated boxes that were going to be used for storage with shellac to help prevent moisture absorption and greatly extend the life of the box.  Wonder if this would work with your "cold smoker" box.  Since shellac is a natural product, I'd think that the toxicity would be pretty low if you allowed it to dry really well for a few weeks.  Or, just didn't coat the inside of the box.  The solvent used with shellac is alcohol.  So, it's not like you have a petroleum based carrier for the shellac.  And, alcohol is a solvent that at least one of our most senior members has recommended as a solvent to use for cleaning puck burners and the like.  So we have some history of using alcohol in conjunction with our smokers.   

manfromplaid

i try to use alcohol every time i fire up my smoker. hehehe

Habanero Smoker

It may be more convenient to make a Bypass Plug. Then you won't have to deal with any cables.

Bypass Plug

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tskeeter

Or, if you are electronically challenged, like me, you can order a bypass plug from Yard and Pool.  There has got to be something you need from them.  You just don't know it yet.   :)