Homade cold smoker

Started by topguntransfer, June 11, 2014, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmonsmoker

Or, cut the thermocouple wire and splice in a section of small gauge lamp cord.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

pikeman_95

Instead of using a cardboard box which will not have a long lifespan. Try one of these smaller washtubs from a ranch supply store. They will work just fine. They will also help get rid of some of the heat.

Salmonsmoker

Rather than make your own start collar, you can find these at your local big box store. A perfect match for Kirby's washtub.
http://www.thesheetmetalkid.com/starter-collars/4-dovetail-duct-start-collar/
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

topguntransfer

Thanks all. Very good ideas. I was planning to throw a gallon freezer bag or 2 inside the tower. Also I have made a heat exchanger for the duct work. I will probably try in a day or two, to see what works best. I am an electrician by trade. I cut the power cord in half and added about a four foot extension in between. I have some thermo couple extension wire and will just make a one piece as long as I need.

Thanks again all for the great ideas
Ken & Cyn
Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)

renoman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 13, 2014, 01:31:51 AM
It may be more convenient to make a Bypass Plug. Then you won't have to deal with any cables.

Bypass Plug

It's early in the morning here and I may be half asleep but why do you need the bypass plug. When I smoke with my PID I just run the SG and the cabinet runs off the PID. Like two separate systems. Can he just not plug the cabinet in and run the SG???

pensrock

I do not think a digital smoker will operate unless it has something plugged in to give a temp reading.

QuoteI have some thermocouple extension wire and will just make one piece as long as I need.
Just so you are aware, the Bradley does not use a thermocouple it uses a thermistor to get temps. So T/C extension wire is not needed I normally use a section of two wire shielded cable 20-22 gauge is plenty big enough. The shield is not needed but we use this cable at work all the time and I can get small pieces for free. :) But any small ga. two wire cable will work. Also in case you ever do get a T/C and plan to use the extension cable you need to match the extension cable type to the T/C type to get an accurate reading. For example Type K T/C will use type K extension wire which has a yellow outer jacket and red and yellow wires inside. Type R has a green jacket and red & black wires. Type J has a black jacket and white & red wires. The red is negative.
Hope this help some. :)