This is the process I'm doing for Brisket, any advice?

Started by Thumpinbass, June 13, 2014, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

Figure I would start a new thread for this.   This wil be the first time that Im doing Brisket, so I wanted to see if everything Im going to do is right or if I need to modify anything.

My brisket is a Packed Brisket.   15.62 lbs. I have already unwrapped, trimmed, rubbed (Trying Jans Rub since its highly recommended on here) both sides and then a layer of yellow mustard on both sides.  Then wrapped tightly several times with saran wrap. Please in Fridge.   

I am planning on having this for fathers day.  Maybe around 4 pm EST, but i understand this can change based on how long it takes.  I'll have it marinate in the fridge for 20 hours or so til about 12 tomorrow?   Let it sit out for an hour, hour and half to warm up.  Set the BS to 225 degrees.  I am going to use Mesquite and Apple bisquits since thats what I have.  Thinking 2 apple, 1 mesquite, repeat.  Enough to smoke for about 4 or 5 hours?  Turn smoker off.   Change water, then continue cooking in the BS til an IT temp of 190+ degrees.   Take out of BS and FTC up to 4 hours to let it rest.

So, am I close to know what I'm doing?   Did I miss anything.  I have til about 12 noon tomorrow to really change some things depending on what it is.   I figure if I get it in the BS somewhere around 2pm, hopefully it will finish up around 12-2pm tomorrow.

Open to all suggestions...     Thank you!

Allen

P.S.   BTW, I have a wireless Dual Probe temp monitor so I can watch the temps of both the smoker and the brisket that I will be using.

tailfeathers

Sounds to me like you are pretty well dialed in. The thermometer to monitor both IT and cabinet temp is a nearly indispensable tool in my opinion. Nice to be able to see whats going on in the middle of the night without having to leave your bed! Let us know how it turns out for you, we LOVE pictures!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

You've got a good basic plan, I would suggest that you leave the smoker on when you are done with the smoke period. You can use bubba pucks or just flip the last puck into the water when your smoke time is done. Also at this time you can replace your water bowl with a 9x13 disposable cake pan with boiling water to help with heat retention.

Thumpinbass

Thanks guys.  Looks like I have an idea what to do for my first brisket.  Question is, I've seen a lot of people say to leave their smoker on even after done smoking.  Is that just to help retain the heat inside the cabinet then or faster recovery times?  Like a second heat source?  That's the only thing I can think of.  I did buy these aluminum pucks made for the smoker I always use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

Yes, the smoke generator burner plate is a secondary heat source.

Thumpinbass

3 hrs into the smoke and my IT of the cabinet is hovering around 230-235.  Where do you normally clip the temp sensor during smokes?   I have it in the bottom rack.  The brisket is on the 2nd from the bottom rack

Allen

Habanero Smoker

The bottom rack is good. I place mine toward the front corner of the rack. That way juices are less likely to drip on the probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thumpinbass

Thanks.   Just worried about this first smoke.   I have the Maverick ET-732 i believe it is and the cabinet temp was reaching 240 sometimes even though the bradley is set for 220.  From what I was reading, I should trust the  Maverick over the DBS temp.  If it stays in the 230 - 240 range, how do you suggest I lower it since the placement of my probe seems to be a good one?

Habanero Smoker

Go with the Maverick readings. The 230 - 240 range is a good temperature to cook brisket, and you can leave it as is. If you want to get the temperature around 220°F - 230°F, you can start by lowering the set temperature by 10°F and see if the Maverick readings will lowered by the same amount.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Thumpinbass

Ok thanks!!!   I'll keep an eye on it.  I'll be soon changing the water pan.  Right now, almost 4 hours in, my IT of the meat is 129.   Seems high at this point in the game but we'll see what happens. 

Allen

KyNola

Your Bradley is set at 220 and you're experiencing some highs of 230-240.  That's pretty normal for a Bradley to swing +/- 20 degrees because the heating element is on and then it kicks off.  It will run the temp high, turn off and the temp will fall below your target and then it will come back on and the cycle starts all over again.  As the meat gets warmer you will see the temp swings lessen.

Sounds like you're doing good.  Hang in there!

Thumpinbass

So far, I'm 12 hours into my smoke and the IT is already at 176.   Trying to get my cabinet temp down to around 220 to slow it down just a tad.  Going to reposition my meat probe also just to check another spot.  Otherwise, it's looking good.   Changing out the water pan now so I can get a little sleep. 

Allen

KyNola

Good call on checking the IT in several places.  If the probe happens to be in fat you will get a false higher reading.

You're doing great!

Thumpinbass

So it's been 17 hrs now.  IT temp is now at 190 at several places.  Seemed to finish up a lot earlier then expected.  Can I stall it in the smoker a little while longer or pull an FTC for a while.  Planning on eating at 1pm now since it's done early

Allen

Habanero Smoker

First I would check the tenderness by using a fork. If it slide in and out easily, your brisket is done. If it gives a little resistance, then continue to cook to the desired doness. If you are planning to serve at 1PM, I would do a combination of holding it in the cabinet at a temperature of 160°F - 180°F, making sure it is tightly wrapped in foil with a little beef broth or apple juice. I have held briskets up to 4 hours this way. Then when you get 2 - 3 hours near serving time, use the FTC method to hold the meat. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.