HELP! Save my BBQ!

Started by armychic, June 14, 2014, 09:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armychic

Apparently the power cords to my Bradley got lost in our recent move! :( I've got a beautiful brisket and a couple of pork loins for tomorrow's Father's Day dinner and maybe it's just me but I'm thinking a lack of power might just present a challenge in my smoking plans. :) The Mr. and I just spent the better part of the two hours going through every box in the garage after getting the kiddos to bed and no luck!

So plan B is our propane grill. I've never smoked anything on a propane grill before but I hear it can be done. I'm crossing my fingers that someone has some insight on how I might accomplish this with a bit of success. 

The brisket is just a touch under 5 lb and the two pork loins are 3 lbs each. I have the Bradley briquettes and I also have stash of mesquite wood chips to work with.

Thanks in advance!

GusRobin

First, did you try going to a home depot and get some power cords? At least one of the cords is the same as a computer cord.

Second you can do it on the propane grill. Just use the burners on one side of the grill and place the meat on the other so you are cookie with indirect heat. You can put wood chips in a pouch made with foil and poke some holes in the pouch. Place the pouch on the side of the grill where the burners are on.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

armychic

Unfortunately, Home Depot was closed by the time we realized the cords were MIA. We did figure out in our search that the cord to the wallpaper steamer fit for one of them but I don't have another cord that matches the other.

Thanks for the tips on the propane cooking. I assume I'd need to utilize a disposable pan of water as well to create a bit of moisture in the grill, correct?

GusRobin

Home depot or best buy should be open tomorrow morning?

You can use a pan of water. Before I got the Bradley I used to make ribs on my gas grill. I would smoke for a while then foil with some liquid until done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If you are missing the short jumper cord which goes from the cabinet to the generator; that may be a little more difficult to find. Try the electronic stores first, such as Radio Shack. I believe it is called a C14 to C13 cord, you will need at least a 14ga wire that can carry 10amps, you can go with a heavier cord, but don't go with a lighter cord. You can save yourself a lot of traveling and time by calling the store first and see if they have that cord in stock. You will need a cord length of at least 3 feet or longer.

C14 to C13 Cord

I forgot to mention if you are not familiar with indirect heat using a grill, you may want to google how to cook a brisket on a propane grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

armychic

It is the short jumper cord I'm missing. I think I'll try the propane grill today since my 17 mo old & 2 mo old both decided  to wake up at 5am & NOT go back to sleep so I'm already behind on the to-do list without adding a shopping trip. :)

Thanks for the info on where to find a replacement. I'll definately look into that if a second search doesn't turn it up.

BTW, does anyone know of local stores in NE Ohio that actually carry the briqettes? We went on a wild goose chase last night with no luck. Gander Mtn was out of stock but said they don't carry much and Dicks doesn't carry them despite the Bradley website listing them. I used to get them at Home Depot but it seems they don't carry them anymore.

RedJada

I'm in NE Ohio, Kent. where you at armychic? I can give you some briqettes if your not too far.

TedEbear

Cabela's may have some bisquettes.

armychic

RedJada - I'm in the North Canton area. Thanks for the offer! I think I have enough to get me through this cookout. I found a couple sleeves from the variety pack I bought a year or so ago when we were looking for the cords. :) I'm not opposed to ordering online for the future I guess I was just surprised that more people didn't carry them - even the stores that sell the smoker don't seem to stock any.

KyNola

If it is the jumper power cord that is MIA, an old computer cord will most likely fit the tower plug.  You can plug both the smoke generator and the tower directly into a power outlet and be up and running.

Salmonsmoker

For smoking using your propane grill,  get pellets for the foil pouch. They're a lot less expensive. http://bbqrsdelight.com/ Here's a handy little pellet smoker that you can put in your gasser, or use to cold smoke or hot smoke in your Bradley and by-pass the smoke generator. It will keep you smoking if your SG malfunctions. Use with good quality pellets. I have the maze and the tube. they both work great. http://www.amazenproducts.com/
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Rainsmoke

You might have to lift the grill on the hot side and put the biscuits, pellets, or wood chips closer to the heat to get them to smoke.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

armychic

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Dinner was a success. Our grill has the little smoker box on the bottom. I cleaned out the debris left behind from the squirrel who nested there last winter and tested it out and to my surprise it still worked. We  had stopped using it awhile back & for some reason I thought it was broken. I did the brisket in the smoker box and the tenderloin on the grill.

The temp gauge on the smoker is definitely WAY off, which is probably the reason we stopped using it in the first place since we had the Bradley. It never climbed about 225 but was searing hot by the time I checked on it to mop it and switch out the water/chips. It was already fairly cooked. Luckily I left enough of the fat on it that other then the bottom layer it was still pretty juicy, flavorful and tender enough to eat. (FTC'd in apple juice after it came out which I think helped.)

The first tenderloin pork could have been a bit smokier in taste but was ah-may-zing none the less. Rave reviews all around. The only leftovers of either was the hunk of pork I squirreled away before setting it out for the masses. :) 

Pictures to come...