Never tried smoking before!!

Started by Stikmanfishin, June 16, 2014, 08:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stikmanfishin

Ok everyone, bare with me and sorry for all the dumb questions i am going to ask from now on...
I have never smoked anything before but I love what I tasted so i wanted to be able try and get smoking. Just bought a 4 rack BDS.
Would love to hear any suggestions on what I should try first. And the recipe would really be appreciated cuz i have no idea what I am getting into..

Thanks everyone

manfromplaid

welcome to the forum from alberta. there are no dumb questions here. lots of very helpful people. just ask away and someone will be able to help. as for your shot at your smoker what would you like to try. it is a learning experiance. search the forum  and you will find lots of recipies.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Stikmanfishin;

Welcome to the forum.

As manfromplaid stated just start asking. For quick gratification, chicken, pork loins, and pork tenderloins are the quickest to prepare and cook. Smoking pork butts take much longer times, but almost always produces a great product. Start searching the forum for recipes and you may want to check out the Recipe Site

Also the below link may be useful.
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Welcome, plenty of great recipes on the site as the others have mentioned, I did bacon wrapped chicken thighs for my first attempt.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tailfeathers

Welcome from South Dakota! Lots of friendly folks here who are always happy to answer any question that you care to ask. I would probably start out with a pork loin and branch out from there. I would strongly recommend that you have a way to monitor the IT (internal temperature) of your meat, preferably  wireless one so you don't have to keep opening the door to check it. You lose a lot of heat when you open the door. Maverick makes very nice setup that let's you monitor both your meat temp and smoker temp from inside your house, very convenient. Keep your top vent open!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

You've gotten some really good advice from the others so I will just give you a welcome from Texas and Happy Smoking!

Rainsmoke

Welcome from Kent, wa!  Let the addiction begin.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

beefmann

welcome aboard, lots of good information and  people here

pondee

Welcome from northern NJ.  The only dumb question is the one not asked.  Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.  Be patient with your cooks, leave your vent open and  enjoy.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

pensrock

Welcome from PA.
Another easy recipe is to make some ABT's. A = Atomic B = Buffalo T = Turds. :)
Basically they are cored and cleaned jalapenos, now you can stuff them, I normally start with cream cheese and add anything I want. Like cooked loose sausage bits, other shredded cheeses, left over chopped pulled pork or brisket or chopped cooked bacon. You can use anything, but I always make sure the meats are precooked. Then take a slice of thin bacon and wrap the pepper to cover the opening so the stuffing will not fall out. Smaller whole peppers will fit right into the holes in a Bradley rack. But you can slice them in half and stuff then wrap and lay flat on the rack. Then smoke for about an hour and continue cooking till the bacon is crisp. Make lots because they will disappear faster than you can take them off the rack. :)

Rooftop777

welcome, I'm new here too but getting there.  Great group here will help you all out,
:)

Quarlow

Oo Oo Oo You need to make this sauce and smoke some pork chops.

Mojo Cuban garlic sauce

4 Cups Orange Juice (unsweetened or preferably seville oranges)
1/2 Cup Lime Juice
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp Salt
1 head of Garlic
8 large sprigs fresh Oregano
1 small bunch Cilantro
2 medium onions

Dump juices into a container with tight fitting top
Chop onions & add to juice
Finely mince Oregano & Cilantro  add to juice

Peel Garlic Cloves & run through a Garlic Press - add salt to garlic & "grind" it together, to make a paste - let this stand for 1 hour & dump into juice.

Shake it up & Let it sit overnight before using.

Of course the Goya is easier and ready to go

You will love this stuff and with smoked chops OMG Oh yeah welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.