Beefmann smoked Chili

Started by beefmann, June 18, 2014, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

well i went and did it again ... something new,,, at least i can not  recall any one  ever making smoked chili so here is my version

5 lb 80/ 20 ground hamburger made into a meat loaf type slab.

into the  smoker with 3 hours of hickory at 200f then  pulled, still a  lil  pink inside

crumbled the meat as it was still warm

sautéed 1 1/2 large white diced onions and 4 green bell peppers in evoo and garlic till the onions were translucent while the  meat was in the smoker

then added the onion mixture to the meat

then mixed it all together. let stand in fridge over night.

split the  meat between two  7 quart crock  pots added in kidney beans, black beans , pinto beans ( 15 oz each ) to each crock pot along  with 2 quarts of  la victoria thick and chunky salsa

4 hours in the crock pot did a  taste test and  still needed a  lil  something

so i  added in a 15 oz can of tomato sauce and 6 ounce tomato paste, and beefmann 6 chilli  chilli herb seasoning and at the very end 1 tbsp of ground mustard per  quart

the final outcome

it was  quite good lil  spicy though it  doesn't  burn the tongue

waycoolcat

That looks like a good recipe. I never used dry mustard in chili, cumin is usually in mine too. Did the smoked ground beef stand out with everything else going on? I might try this myself.
I want to be a better carnivore!

beefmann

yes it  did, could have went for 4 hours instead of  3, next time im gonna smoke the bell pepper and  onions as well for more of a  smoke flavour.

Ka Honu

As many of you know I am a bit more "traditional" about my chili than most (no hamburger, beans, or tomatoes) but won't go with that particular recipe/ingredient rant at the moment. What I did wish to add was my agreement that smoking the beef can make a huge difference. I've found that the best chili meat ever is diced leftover smoked brisket point (if I can resist using it for burnt ends or sammies). Barring that, I usually use chuck browned on the grill (with smoke added) before dicing. Either way, the result adds a layer of flavor that kicks the result up a notch or three.

pensrock

I did not see any chili powder or cumin. I think a small can of chipotles in adobe mashed up real fine would add a little heat and another layer of taste. It does look good.

beefmann

beefmann 6 chilli and herb powder

4    TBSP SEASONED SALT
4    TBSP PAPRIKA
4    TBSP ONION POWDER
4    TBSP GARLIC POWDER
4    TBSP GROUND MUSTARD
4    TBSP CHIPOTLE CHILI PEPPER
4    TBSP CAYENNE PEPPER
4    TBSP CALIF CHILI PEPPER
4    TBSP ANCHO CHILI PEPPER
4    TBSP NEW MEXICO CHILI
4    TBSP GROUND CHILI POWDER
1    TBSP CUMIN
4    TBSP BROWN SUGAR
1    TSP GROUND THYME
1    TSP GROUND SAGE
1    TSP GROUND ROSEMARY
1    TSP GROUND OREGANO
1    TSP GROUND MARJORAM
1    TBSP CINNAMON
1    TSP ALL SPICE
1    TBSP WYLERS CHICKEN GRANULES
   FOR MORE HEAT IN THE COOKED CHILI ADD IN CRUSHED RED PEPPERS TO TASTE

mix above then add in 1 tsp of mix till you achieve desired spiciness 

seemore

That looks awesome beef man!  I am definitely going to try this seasoning!
Seemore

pensrock

beefmann

Quote from: pensrock on June 19, 2014, 12:37:13 PM
sounds great  :)

it is great , IMHO a little goes a  long way , in 6 quarts i used close to 2 tbsp and was spicy enough for me and no red pepper flakes, im sure if i added  more of the beefman chilli powder it  would be  spicier

MrSlick

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 18, 2014, 12:17:18 PM
As many of you know I am a bit more "traditional" about my chili than most (no hamburger, beans, or tomatoes) but won't go with that particular recipe/ingredient rant at the moment. What I did wish to add was my agreement that smoking the beef can make a huge difference. I've found that the best chili meat ever is diced leftover smoked brisket point (if I can resist using it for burnt ends or sammies). Barring that, I usually use chuck browned on the grill (with smoke added) before dicing. Either way, the result adds a layer of flavor that kicks the result up a notch or three.

I second this idea.  I normally vac seal and freeze some of the point or any other burnt end parts and add them to chili or BBQ beans.  It takes beans to a completely new level of flavor goodness.