Pork Shoulder and Brisket

Started by astipe, June 25, 2014, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astipe

I need some advice!
I bought a 6lb pork shoulder to make pulled pork and a 5lb brisket. How should I place them in the smoker? Should I place the brisket above the pork shoulder? or pork shoulder above the brisket? Should I switch rack positions every few hours?

I am thinking that the pork shoulder will take longer to cook because it is thicker and heavier than the brisket. I plan on putting both meats in the smoker tonight at 11pm so that they are done by tomorrow afternoon. I know that they will not be done at the same time. I plan on wrapping them in foil, towels, and putting them into a drink cooler.

Both meats have been marinating in yellow mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub in the fridge since last night.

ragweed

IMO it doesn't matter.  My Mother used to cook a small roast of each meat in the same roaster.  Each meat seemed to enhance the flavor of the other.  You probably won't get pure pulled pork flavor on the butt, nor pure brisket flavor on the beef, but I think both will be good.  In fact, now that you jogged my memory, I think I'll do some myself!

classicrockgriller

Pork above Chicken and Beef above Pork. But that's just me.

astipe

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will place the brisket above the pork.

tailfeathers

Thats how I would have it to start. Once some of the fat has rendered from each cut you could probably rotate the racks without having to much pig juice dripping on your brisket.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!