Pork butt this weekend

Started by River Rat, June 22, 2014, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Rat

Rubbed up and in the smoker overnight  IT is 163. Looks like I'm at the stall. But all is going as planned so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
River Rat
"Smoke On"

Saber 4

Looks good, it's hard to wait out the stall sometimes.

tailfeathers

Patience definitely required!

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

River Rat

River Rat
"Smoke On"

River Rat

All finished up. Turned out great

River Rat
"Smoke On"

Saber 4

waycoolcat

Wow thats making me hungry. I haven't made pulled pork in a while. What sauce did you use? Homemade or commercial?
I want to be a better carnivore!

River Rat

Thanks for the kind words.  Waycoolcat, i used a home made sauce, it's a recipe from Jeff of Smoking Meat fame. i can get you the recipe if you would like, it's very simple and takes no time at all.
River Rat
"Smoke On"

waycoolcat

Sure I'd like the recipe. I'm always experimenting with new recipes. If you can post it here.

I want to be a better carnivore!

River Rat

I'll get it to you this evening.
River Rat
"Smoke On"

WoodlawnSmoker

That looks fabulous!  And I would be interested in the recipe too, looks great.

pondee

Quote from: Saber 4 on June 22, 2014, 08:10:53 AM
Looks good, it's hard to wait out the stall sometimes.

I like to time my cooks so that the stall occurs when I'm sleeping.  Start so that the smoke period ends just before bed time, clean out the sent pucks, replace the water with a baking pan of near boiling water, and off to dream land.  Monitor  IT upon waking and dinner sometime that day.  FTC if things get done too soon.  The butt needs to rest before pulling in any event.  Cooking in the Bardley gives you lots of time to address sides and guests.  Not in the same way.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tskeeter

River Rat, can I make a suggestion?

Please note that I am fundamentally lazy.  So I try to avoid working at things any harder than I have to.  That includes cleaning up after a smoking session.  Part of my minimizing the clean up is using a spare foil pan to catch drippings from products such as pork shoulder.  By folding the sides of the foil pan in a bit, to allow smoke to circulate more easily, I can catch the drippings and avoid having them burn on to the v-tray.  That means that I usually don't have to soak and scrub the v-tray.  Just throw it in the dishwasher to clean it.

Note that I do put about an inch of boiling water in the foil catch pan.  This helps keep the drippings from scorching so that I can chill the drippings, skim off the congealed fat, then use the drippings (usually with some water or chicken stock added, because the dripping have been reduced quite a bit and can be kind of strong flavored) to help moisten the meat when it is served.

River Rat

tskeeter,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try. I too am lazy by nature and always looking for an easier way of doing things.

WLS and WCC I'll get you the recipe tonight...I promise! Just got to busy last night.
River Rat
"Smoke On"