Probably the most asked question

Started by [email protected], June 22, 2014, 09:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Door reads 200 For.  Digital meat probe dropped into the cabinet, near bottom reads 278, hanging free, not in any meat at this time.  Which do I use??  Should I ask Bradley for a new door thermometer.

TedEbear

The Bradley door thermometers are somewhat inaccurate.  If they send you another one it will be off just as much as this one.  Most of us use a wireless temp monitor.  The Maverick ET-733 seems to be the most popular and has a rather long range.

smokealittlesmoke

Yeah the cheaper way to monitor CT, would be to buy two probes for around 10-15 bucks a piece. You have one for your meat, and then push a ball of foil on to the probe around the middle and back where the probe curves and turns into wire. Just don't cover the end of the probe were the temp sensors are. Or buy a dual probe monitor there's all kinds of thermos out there depends on you budget. They do make probes with stands that clip to your racks. Just stear clear of the maveick-ET 73 I have not heard good things about it. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html This is a good link to read about some diffrent thermos and how to use them.
Smokealittlesmoke

brooks5

Just bough this unit, used first time yesterday and temp never got above 175F, receipe said to go to 210F.  Dump question for you when you run the wire for the prob on the wireless probe from above reply, where is the best place to run the wire or does it matter?

Habanero Smoker

Hi brook5;

Welcome to the forum.

I little more information will be useful. Such as what were you cooking, how much was loaded into the smoker and what shelves did you use? What were you using to monitor the cabinet temperature?

For my probes, I run the wires between the door and seal. I generally will place the cabinet probe on the bottom rack toward the left front area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

brooks5

Thanks for getting back to me Habanero (your name makes me hungry).  Anyway I was just going by the door thermostat.  I think I know what the problem was, I let my newly grad son put together.  Reminds me of a joke, how many engineers does it take to put a smoker together................None just one dad.  Sorry since he is mine I thought I would put that out there.  I read the instructions and put the electrical together properly. 

But I like the idea of putting in a wireless prob just to keep track of the temp at least till I get used to it.  I cooked the ribs with only the puck heater, so why it neve got hot.  Ribs were done and good, nieghours quickly finished off the leftoves.

Again Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Glad you were able to get everything working correctly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)