Question on time for lots of meat

Started by 93slayer, July 02, 2014, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93slayer

Hey guys,
Doing a big load of smoked meats for 4th of July. Two brisket around 9# each and a 6.5# pork shoulder.

I'll rub them Thursday and let them rest, pull em out of the fridge and let them come up to room temp before going in the smoker. I'd like them done by 12 noon fri, let them rest an hour or 2 then slice and pull. I'll serve em around 4pm.
I'm thinking I'll need 15 hours at 225*.......

But that's why I'm here. I wanted some advice on my idea and how long I should expect?

beefmann

i think your on the  right track, maybe  start a  lil bit  earlier... if you are  going to  be  cooking all the  meat at  once.. maybe go to  18 to  20 hours, on average cook times can be  between 1 hr to 1 1/2 per  lb... though never  gook by  time..  cook by  temp of the  meat... also check each  piece of meat  with a  thermometer for when the meat  is getting close... some cuts  you  can  pull at  185 F  others are at 205  or any  where  in between.

good  luck

tailfeathers

My advice would be to start plenty early, you can FTC them for quite a while and they'll still be to hot to handle with bare hands after four hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KyNola

I would not put myself in a 15 hour box with 25 lbs of meat.  I agree with TF to start earlier and then FTC if need be.  If you are running a "stock", unmodified Bradley you are going to have a long period of time for heat recovery when you first put 25 lbs of cold meat in the tower.  I would preheat the tower as hot as I could get it prior to putting any meat in it.  Leave the setting on high until the temp in the tower comes up to your target of 225 and then reduce the temp setting to where you want it.  Also, you are going to have a stall period that may last 2-3 hours on the butt.  One thing you can do to shorten the stall period on the butt is to wrap it in foil once the IT of the butt reaches 140.  You will sacrifice a heavy bark but you can save some time.

After the smoking period you could also transfer the meat to your house oven set at 2225 to complete the cooking time.  Heat recovery is much quicker there and the temp swings are not as erratic although your house oven will swing but not nearly as much.

Good luck and let us know if we can help. 

93slayer

You guys are being great help now. I'll follow a 20+ hour plan now.
Preheat high and keep it high for a while.
I'll try to let the meat rest and warm up as much as possible before it goes in.
I'll use boiling water in the drip tray

Sucks because I have to work Friday. So my gf will be in charge of the final outcome. We want it ready to slice by 12 Friday and I don't get off til 3pm. People will be arriving by 4:30. I want it ready to eat by 4.....

How many hours of smoke? 8? 10? More?

Thanks guys.

GusRobin

4 hours of smoke should be plenty. And I agree with the rest. I have a modified (2nd element) OBS and when I cooked 2 8lb butts and a 14 lb brisket - it took 23 hours. So put it in early and you can FTC for a long time. I have done it up to 6 hrs. With that much meat in the cooler if you foil them separately, but wrap them together in a towel, put crumpled newspaper on the bottom and the top - mine have stayed too hot to handle for 6 hours.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

93slayer, another technique that helps with heat recovery when you put large amounts of cold meat into your smoker is to put a foil wrapped brick or two in the bottom of your smoker.  Put the brick in so it heats up during the preheat period.  This gives you a hot thermal mass that will release the heat it has stored to the cold meat.  A smoking brick also helps with heat recovery when you do things like open the smoker door to check things or to refill the puck bowl.

I have even been known to preheat a couple of bricks in the oven (to 400 degrees) on a cold, damp, windy day, to help along a still very cold (OK, there was still some ice in the cavity when I took it out of the fridge) turkey.

Ka Honu

Quote from: tskeeter on July 02, 2014, 08:47:10 AM... a foil wrapped brick or two in the bottom of your smoker...

I've used bricks but prefer an aluminum half-pan of hot water which not only acts as a heat sink, but gives the pucks a place to fall and keeps the environment humid.

As to the time, I agree it's probably going to take longer than you had originally planned. Smoke Thursday and FTC or refrigerate when done.

KyNola

Yep, 4 hours of smoke will be plenty. As for slicing the brisket, I would recommend you not slice it until just before you are ready to serve it.  Brisket can dry out rather quickly after slicing.

Sounds like you have a decent plan.  Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.  If you need any help, just holler.

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

93slayer

So 20 hours is a good number to go with?
If I go 1.5 hours per pound it's like 30 hours....

TedEbear

Quote from: 93slayer on July 02, 2014, 04:13:03 PM
So 20 hours is a good number to go with?
If I go 1.5 hours per pound it's like 30 hours....

The 1.5-2 hours per lb is for individual pieces of meat.  I'd figure on 2 hours for the largest piece (the 9# brisket) and add a little more because you're cooking a lot of things at once.  That's just an estimate - cook by IT, not time.

93slayer

I'll take pics but there will only be a few as I will be working and I don't want to lose my heat opening the door. I'll try to keep track of it and get a write up with pics later on!

93slayer

5 hours in. Smoker is 175 and still rising, biggest brisket supposedly reads 156......

tskeeter

Sounds like your brisket is at the temp where you should be hitting the stall for a few hours.