First Smoked Pork Butt

Started by Sarniasmoke, July 05, 2014, 11:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarniasmoke

Me and the wife went around this morn on our weekly grocery detail and I was looking for a pork butt to smoke, came across some cured maple Leaf brand cottage rolls and almost choked when I seen the price...YIKES... I decided to take a chance at our neighbourhood butcher shop who will cut you fresh from the back....I ended up getting a 6 pound pork butt for $3.79/lb which was a deal compared to the prepackaged cottage rolls.

So I deboned  it up and spiced it up in the middle after cutting the bone out and outside with olive oil,montreal steak spice, garlic salt and black pepper, I plan on setting the box temp at 210 degrees, with 4 hours of maple smoke and pulling it out once it hits 190 IT...I'm planning smoking this taking approx 12-16 hrs over nite....was thinks of doing the few hours  of FTC method a soon as it hits the desisired temp also.

I was wondering does anyone have a sauce recipe after I pull it to try..also should I throw it in a slow cooker and cook it in a sauce?.....or should I just pull and munch away?

I will post pics ...any ideas and thoughts are very welcome...

Thanks and cheers!!

The Butt Roast and the bone to smoke for the dog!!

tailfeathers

I usually smoke mine with the bone still in it and remove the bone when pulling the pork. If your butt is done the bone will pull out clean. Heres a link to a post that has the recipe that I use for sauce on my pp. I really like it, give it a try.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35402.msg408867#msg408867

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

I also smoke with the bone in, but yours will still turn out awesome. As for sauce I usually just pick up a bottle of Stubbs because I don't use sauce enough to make it worth the time to make a batch.

kayes

Next one try leaving the bone in. You'll fine the meat juicier and more flavorful.
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

pjplovedog

I LOVE this one from Saveur Magazine
I never sift the spices, I just put them in and stir. 
I also sub other types of vinegar such as balsamic, red wine vinegar or cider vinegar- depends on what is on the shelf. The spice blend is really good, and you don't really detect that there is curry powder in it....

MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
We got the recipe for this tangy sauce from Remus
Powers, who founded the Diddy-Wa-Diddy National
Barbecue Sauce Contest, now part of the American Royal
BBQ Contest, the world's biggest competitive BBQ
cookoff. It's perfect over ribs, chicken, or any barbecued
meat.
1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. ground mace
1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
1⁄2 tsp. paprika
1⁄4 cup white vinegar
1⁄2 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 cup ketchup
1⁄3 cup dark molasses
1. Sift together allspice, cinnamon, mace, pepper, curry powder, chili powder, and paprika into a bowl. Stir
in vinegar, then add hot sauce, ketchup, and dark molasses and mix until very well blended. Serve warm or
at room temperature. Sauce may be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for 2–3 weeks or in freezer
for up to 6 months.