Smoked chicken breast temps

Started by Iowabucks, July 06, 2014, 08:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowabucks

Hey everyone, I smoked a couple chicken breasts tonight and seemed a tad overdone but the temps were not telling me that.

I started with two different sized bone in chicken breasts. I figured one would definitely take a little longer.

I used two different rubs for something different.

I used two hours of hickory smoke @ 225 degrees.

I have the dual element mod and run an Auber Dual Probe temp controller. I was shooting for an IT of about 165. But after about 5 hours I couldn't take it any longer and just had to pull the smaller breast out when my Thermapen only read 155 at the coolest. Auber showed the same temp. It was just a tad overdone, slightly dry, but still not bad.

So I had dinner, late like always, then pulled the larger breast out when it only read 150. It was definitely done, no doubt, maybe slightly overdone.

But why did they seem done with an IT way lower than what is recommended?

I'm assuming when IT is supposed to be 165 that means the lowest temp you can find in the breast with the Thermapen must be 165? for safety reasons.

Seems like either my Auber and new Thermapen are off, or the chicken I do can always come out of the smoker early.

Any ideas?

KyNola

The Govt guidelines may tell you to take them to 165 for proper doneness but that doesn't mean it is correct.  I cook breasts to about the temps you removed yours.

The bigger question you should be asking is why did it take 5 hours to cook 2 chicken breasts.  That time seems excessive to me.  Is it possible that your PID is incorrect in it's readings?

Iowabucks

Quote from: KyNola on July 06, 2014, 08:58:54 PMIs it possible that your PID is incorrect in it's readings?
I also run a Maverick at the same time and the cabinet temps were right on. The Auber holds it to within 2 degrees of set temp. I did have the door open quite a few times checking things out, but the smoker temp comes back up to 225 within 5 minutes.

These were a pair of bone in breasts. Two with both sides.