First time smoking pork....Trouble...and trying to fix my mistakes...

Started by Rooftop777, July 10, 2014, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooftop777

Hi all, I smoked a pork butt yesterday but had a bunch of trouble so ended up putting it in oven at 350 until internal temp got to 200f. \put it to cool and was in fridge to cool. Today, I put it back in oven at 350 since could not do pulled pork since it was cold and tough to do.
I put pork in a glass dish and triple wrapped it and put apple juice with it, gonna wait until internal of 200 to pull with fork then put in vacuum pack for later.

This is my first time doing this, is this going to work or am I just going to end up with tough meat and a flop ????
please advise on suggestions, it's in the oven right now.......
thanks

Rooftop777

In oven with apple juice wrapped in foil on a glass cake pan, just checked internal temp and 123F, gonna keep cooking  it until gets to 205 to see if it will loosen stuff up so easier to pull, seems still a bit tough...but 1 piece I just took off of sides was a little tender...

Wildcat

My guess is that since you cooked it at 350 to a meat temp that high, you may not be too successful with it pulling. Never did what you did so I do not really know. My guess is it will probably be tough and dry. For smoked pulled pork that is tender and juicy you really need to smoke/cook between 180 and 230 degrees cabinet temp to an internal meat temp between 170 and 200. (Depending on what cabinet temp you average.) If you want sliced pork then 350 oven temp is fine after the smoke period but you should probably stop cooking at an internal meat temp of 145 to 160.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Rooftop777

Ok, gonna take it out of oven at internal temp you said. Being that it was cooked once yesterday this is new to me, but could never pill meat when tried cold. I'm going to pull meat then put in vacuum bags.
I'll keep all update as the clock ticks.......

thank you for feedback !

Rooftop777

It's 650 pm here and internal meat temp was just 167F. Going to go for higher internal temperature.

Rooftop777

darn, just looked at your temp you posted, so I'm in range to pull her out right now......

seemore

How did it turn out for you I will always pull my pork before putting it in the fridge
Seemore

Rooftop777

Hi, it turned out extremely well.
I pulled the pork just now, had a few buns with girlfriend then weighed all before vacuum packing. I only got 5lbs since ate meal with kids yesterday....just one edge of pork that was done though.
So, it worked, I was able to reheat it to proper internal temperature.
I have a good quality vacuum machine and just put it direct in freezer. 2 packages vacuumed with 2.5 lbs in each, I put dripping that were in foil onto meat before vacuuming.
My next test will be to wait until they freeze then try to boil 1 bag and reheat it to recreate as if I had a big family gathering.
I know for sure it's not as good as fresh and kind of cheating but I'm cooking for 25-30 people for my 50th birthday in August and cottage is 3 hours away, hard to bring smoker then during a 3 day weekend.
Thanks for the help all, I'll try to post the pics plus finished vacuum pics.
I hope I can help others the same in future, ;D

Salmonsmoker

RT, you don't need to boil your vac bag of PP. A temp. of 170-180F will work fine, just need to hold in the water longer. Some vacuum bags are not rated for boiling H2O like a sous vide bag is and may fail.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Quarlow

RT there is no problem with reheating it. In hot water or in a crockpot/slow cooker, whatever way and it will still be awesome.
As for making pulled pork you need it to go low and slow (and long). Low and slow cooking gives it time to break down the connective tissues and then you get it tender and pulling apart real nice. Beware that it can take a long time to achieve this and it will stall around 160f for sometime. I think the record here has been 36 or 38 hours. Crazy. But well worth it. Good luck on your next go and enjoy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rooftop777

Right on all, so all pork is already frozen in vacuum packs. I think I'll go with the crock pot method. I have a big stainless steel buffet style one that sits on counter, then I can fill it up on the day of my birthday party and let it slowly cook and tenderize a bit more....and drink...lol.
I only have 5 lbs pulled pork so will have to do 2 ten lb pork to feed 25-30 people. I didn't marinate this last 10 lb pork, just put a rub and direct into smoker for 4 hour smoke, then just heat set at 210F.

So far I've done...ribs, pork loin, salmon and now pork butt. I've only had my smoker for 2 weeks now and learning quickly.
I have lots of venison but it is a super dry meat; next thinking of doing a few turkeys then vacuum packing that too. Only thing is I've never eaten a smoked turkey and guests may be turned off if I brine it to make it pink....... May seem to some people as uncooked ???
Any thoughts,

KyNola

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on July 10, 2014, 06:14:23 PM
RT, you don't need to boil your vac bag of PP. A temp. of 170-180F will work fine, just need to hold in the water longer. Some vacuum bags are not rated for boiling H2O like a sous vide bag is and may fail.
Agrees with above.  Heat the pan of water to just below boiling and then turn the temp way down.  Place the bag in the pan of water and attempt to position the bag so the seal remains out of the water.  Sometimes if the bag is completely submerged the water will be hot enough to release the seal and you have a bag full of hot water soaked pulled pork.(Don't ask me how I know but trust me on this one ::))

KyNola

Unless you are going to put some sort of curing agent in your brine the turkey shouldn't come out pink.  Check to see if your turkey has been injected with any type of solution.  If it has you really don't need to brine it.  After smoking the meat may have a slight pinkish tinge to it from the smoke.  If the juices are clear the turkey is done.  Take a white paper napkin and dip it in some of the juice.  No pink color on the napkin means your turkey is done.

Rooftop777

Hey thanks, I looked on box of bags, says they are microwavable and only used for reheating cooked foods.
I'll post some pics of what I did the last 2 days for everyone !

Rooftop777

This is pork yesterday was ready, but only tender on outside edges. Had invited 4 hungry people to see my prize so we ate a chunk of it.....The dark bark was soooooo good.
hmmm, have to figure out how to attach pics.....

Then I put apple juice and lots of foil and put it back into oven at 350F until internal temp got a lot warmer to tenderize meat. But ended up being cooked so late last night, that I put it to cool and was not pulled. Then had to reheat today........as said above....
Next pics will be how I put 2.5 lbs per bag in vacuum bags just now and froze them