Bradley Digital Smoker Blows Fuse when heating element is switched on - help

Started by Baffin1966, July 11, 2014, 07:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baffin1966

I've been using my Bradley Digital 4 rack since 2011.  It's been great up to now.  Smoke generator works fine so can cold smoke.  My problem is that the unit now blows the fuse when I switch on the heating element to finish off my cold smoked produce.  So far I have replaced the heating element itself and jumper lead (which was burned due to shorting current).  Gone through six fuses.  I have taken the back off and notice that the interior heat shielding is scorched in places closest to the element but the wiring does not seem to be adversely affected.  The bits I cannot see are where the wiring passes through the body and into the smoke box.  It might be shorting there.  Other than that I simply don't know what to do.  Help please!

I've got mackerel arriving every day with no means of hot smoking them for my friends and neighbours.

Salmonsmoker

It sounds like you have a short in your wiring somewhere, if it's not the element. You may have to disconnect the element wires and pull back through the access holes to check for a bare spot. The shield on the wire could be deteriorated and cracked from heat. If you have some spare wiring, bypass the original wiring and go straight to the element for just long enough time to see if the element starts to heat up without blowing the fuse. If it does, than you know there's a short.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Baffin1966

Thanks Salmonsmoker,

Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.  Sun's out so first I'm going to get a rod in the water!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Baffin;

Welcome to the forum.

The scorching of the insulation directly behind the element, is normal wear. If the wiring checks out to be alright in the cabinet, another area you may want to check is the wiring inside the generator. Sometimes contacts can get corroded and cause a short.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Baffin1966 on July 11, 2014, 08:37:58 AM
Thanks Salmonsmoker,

Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.  Sun's out so first I'm going to get a rod in the water!

As well you should!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.