Smoked beef tenderloin

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, July 13, 2014, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Decided to try smoking some beef tenderloin today.  Kept the recipe very simple, slathered with dijon mustard and rubbed all over with montreal steak spice.  Gave it two hours of hickory at 220 F.  Pulled at 135 IT, perfect medium rare.

We served this with some horse radish and some nice fresh yellow beans from the farmer's market.  Nice meal, I love summer!

barbquebec

...looks good...all that's missing is a glass of red wine... :) 8)

tailfeathers

Awesome looking hunk of beef. (drooling)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

seemore

meyer lemon

Perfectly cooked...red wine, too

beefmann

chiroken

looks awesome! how heavy was it and how many hours to get to 135^?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Eastkootenaysmoker

Oooooh, ....Yum!  Love that you were able to keep it simple, simple, simple snd still turn out a great meal.  I agree about the fresh yellow beans, ....we've been getting some at our local farmer's market too, ....wife does them up in cream and dill!! Gotta love summer!!!

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: chiroken on July 28, 2014, 10:13:23 PM
looks awesome! how heavy was it and how many hours to get to 135^?

Thanks.  I think it was between 3.5 - 4 pounds.  It was less than 3 hours in the Bradley at 220 F.  When I pulled it, I wrapped in tin foil for about 30 minutes before serving.

A local supermarket had whole tenderloins on sale today for 40% off.  I went and bought two, expensive but I think well worth it considering how many meals we will get out of it.  I'm going to do another one tomorrow, same recipe, even have some Pinot ready to go.

Something a bit odd though, they were advertising this meat as Canada AAA grade, but when I got there it was stamped as USDA Choice.

Dano

Looks fantastic! I've done a few briskets with great success but never a tenderloin. I'm going to search for one tomorrow. :D
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Habanero Smoker

According to a chart I found; the standards for fat marblings for AAA in Canada are the same standards used to grade USDA Choice. Though other determining factors for each grade are slightly different.

Canada & U.S. Meat Grade Determination

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks for the chart Habs, really interesting how the two countries grade their meat, pretty close.  Some of it is subjective for sure, but I guess if you're an inspector long enough you'll figure out how to grade meat pretty fast just by looking at it.

I've got another half tenderloin in the smoker as I write, can't wait.

WoodlawnSmoker

I made another one of these this week as my sister is visiting.  Same recipe, slathered with dijon mustard and rubbed all over with steak spice (this time the Keg's mixture).  Two hours of hickory at 220 F, pulled it at an IT of 135 F and tented for 20 minutes or so.

I'm loving this smoked tenderloin and my sister said "it's the best beef I've ever tasted".  Of course it could have been all the Barolo we had with it, but it was nice to hear the positive feedback.  She's buying a Bradley as soon as she gets home.

Dano

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)