texas

Started by manfromplaid, July 16, 2014, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

i need texas to show me the way to real chile. will accept all ideas and directions.  GO  TEXAS
thank you from alberta
jeff

renoman

Alberta is Texas....sort of.

TedEbear

I suppose they're both in North America.

Saber 4

The biggest rule of real Texas Chili is NO BEANS, ok I'm off my soap box now.

There are many ways to make or season a Texas style chili, you can use any meat combo that you like and have access to, you can use as much dry and fresh peppers and onions and spices as you like.

Start with a large grind or small chopped meat, I start my seasoning at this stage and add more as I go, then drain the grease off and add water to cover and begin simmering, this is when I start adding things like garlic, onion and fresh peppers all chopped up. When it has cooked to a tenderness and taste that you like it is done, if you want the juice to thicken up a bit you can mix a slurry of cold water and masa harina or corn starch and slowly add and stir until it gets a little thicker. It works best if you have it hot enough to be bubbling in the pot at this stage.

Most important is for you to season to your tastes and have fun with it.

renoman

Quote from: TedEbear on July 17, 2014, 08:10:06 AM
I suppose they're both in North America.

Oil, beef, low taxes, red necks and Ted Cruz was born here.

Wildcat

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 17, 2014, 08:53:01 AM

Personally I like the extra punch that beans provide.  ;D

OK - I'll shut up now. :-X
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Saber 4

Quote from: Wildcat on July 17, 2014, 02:12:18 PM

Personally I like the extra punch that beans provide.  ;D

OK - I'll shut up now. :-X

You can have all the beans you want, just don't call it "Texas" Chili and it's ok. Actually I don't really care, I don't like beans in mine but my uncle who competes would skin me alive if I ever allowed beans. ;D

slowpoke

I was told,NO beans or tomatoes in chili,and the Turtle was right.I think?
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

tailfeathers

Never met a chili I didn't like, with or without beans and tomatoes. Except my late aunt's chili, which more like hamburger soup with a can of pork and beans dumped in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

renoman

I whooped my brother's a$$ in the family chili cook off with this recipe. It is the best chili I have ever made.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/

Quarlow

How can you have chili without beans and tomatoes. That's just not right.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

There are many ways to make or season a Texas style chili, you can use any meat combo that you like and have access to, you can use as much dry and fresh peppers and onions and spices as you like.

Start with a large grind or small chopped meat, I start my seasoning at this stage and add more as I go, then drain the grease off and add water to cover and begin simmering, this is when I start adding things like garlic, onion and fresh peppers all chopped up. When it has cooked to a tenderness and taste that you like it is done, if you want the juice to thicken up a bit you can mix a slurry of cold water and masa harina or corn starch and slowly add and stir until it gets a little thicker. It works best if you have it hot enough to be bubbling in the pot at this stage.

Well that just sounds like cooked seasoned meat. I am not knocking your recipe but us unedumacated canucks gotta have something more. I would eat your chili but I could never make it like this. Not trying to start something but I am more of a stew guy than soup.  ;)
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Quote from: renoman on July 18, 2014, 06:41:50 AM
I whooped my brother's a$$ in the family chili cook off with this recipe. It is the best chili I have ever made.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/
Ok this lured me in a bit with the beans and then some more with the beer but I will chuck the bacon bits and sub a pack of real bacon. This is my kind of chili. You all will have to forgive this heathen but I am going to make this and have a huge bowl.

OBS
BBQ

Saber 4

Quote from: Quarlow on July 18, 2014, 04:37:02 PM

Well that just sounds like cooked seasoned meat. I am not knocking your recipe but us unedumacated canucks gotta have something more. I would eat your chili but I could never make it like this. Not trying to start something but I am more of a stew guy than soup.  ;)

Believe me it's much thicker when I get done than you would think, I deliberately only gave the general process so that people could season it to their tastes, mine is quite spicy with a great texture and is nothing like just seasoned meat, especially when I have enough wild hog to grind for chili. When we lived in the Detroit area all of our friends from both sides of the river loved our Texas Chili. Wick Fowler's makes a 3 alarm chili kit that can give someone a good start and the spices are separated so you can adjust the spiciness and thickness to your liking. I'm not much of a soup guy myself so my chili tends to be very thick and I like to make a refried bean frito pie with it. :)

Wildcat

I've spent a lot of time in Texas and love their chili. I also love the ones with beans.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/