texas

Started by manfromplaid, July 16, 2014, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Oooooo that wild hog would impart some wicked flavor. I have never had it but if its wild I will love it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

manfromplaid

i looked at the site reno posted and i will try that also. but what i want to try is chili made with meat and sauce that will be good served out of a bread bowl. nice mouthful chunks of beef and a rich juice to heat up my inards.

Saber 4

Quote from: Quarlow on July 18, 2014, 07:01:52 PM
Oooooo that wild hog would impart some wicked flavor. I have never had it but if its wild I will love it.

The wild hog is really good, but you have to cook the chili low and slow and a couple of times because it's a very dense low fat muscle. I do mine in the crock pot for about 8-10 hours then cool it and into the fridge then back in the crock pot on serving day for another 6-8 hours till it's tender and perfect.

Quote from: manfromplaid on July 18, 2014, 07:03:30 PM
i looked at the site reno posted and i will try that also. but what i want to try is chili made with meat and sauce that will be good served out of a bread bowl. nice mouthful chunks of beef and a rich juice to heat up my inards.

Look for the Wick Fowler's 2 or 3 Alarm Chili Kit but if it's not available up in the Great White North, PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple of kits to try it out it will work real good for a bread bowl chili.

manfromplaid

thanks sabre  i will look around for the kit

Ka Honu

Well, might as well jump in on this one since my name has already been taken in vain.

- Long story short, "real" chili is all about beef, chiles, and maybe some other spices. End of discussion.
     - Tomatoes (other than maybe a bit of paste) go in pasta sauce, not in chili.
     - Beans are always good but are cooked separately and served as a side dish.
     - You can almost always do it better yourself instead of using almost any commercial chili powder or mix.
     - You can use ground beef but cubed is better (smoked brisket point is best).

Here's a hybrid of several recipes that I use as a starting point. If I want it a bit different for a particular audience I'll add and/or subtract a couple of ingredients as needed. Don't be intimidated by the process; it's not all that difficult and is actually kinda fun.

Ka Honu's Pretty Near From Scratch Chili

Ingredients:

Dried chiles -
   6 anchos/mulatto
   2 pasilla/chile negro
   2 costeñas/New Mexico/Choricero
   2 guajillos
   4 chiles de arbol/cascabel

Paste ingredients -
   2 chipotles in adobo
   1 teaspoon marmite/miso
   2 teaspoons soy sauce
   2 tablespoons tomato paste
   1½ tablespoons whole cumin seeds, toasted, then ground
   1½ teaspoons whole coriander seeds, toasted, then ground
   2 whole cloves, toasted and ground
   1 star anise, toasted and ground
   2 teaspoons (Mexican) oregano
   ½ teaspoon cayenne
   ½ teaspoon cinnamon
   ¼ teaspoon allspice

2 quarts chicken stock
4 pounds cubed chuck or (better yet) smoked brisket point

1 large yellow onion, diced (@ 1 ½ cups)
5 cloves minced garlic
1 cup black coffee
2 bay leaves

1 beer or ¼ cup bourbon (optional)
1 ounce chopped unsweetened chocolate plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, OR 1 ounce grated Mexican chocolate
3-4 tablespoons masa (to thicken)

Directions:

Stem and seed dried chiles and tear into 1-inch pieces.  Heat in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side (Don't allow to smoke).  Set aside.

At this point, you can either make a puree for cooking later or continue if you're doing a "same day" cook.

1. To make a puree only, for cooking later –
   Add 1½ cups chicken broth
   Reduce heat until chicken broth is at a bare simmer, add toasted chiles to liquid and cook until chiles have softened and liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and ...

Add paste ingredients, puree in blender and freeze for later use.

To use, thaw puree and brown meat as below.  Remove and brown onion and garlic. Add meat, puree, rest of chicken broth, coffee and bay leaves and bring to boil.

or...

2. Same day cook -
   Salt & pepper meat and brown in batches on medium high heat in bacon grease or oil. Remove and brown onion and garlic.

Remove onions & garlic and add 1½ cups chicken broth.  Use flat wooden spoon or stiff spatula to scrape browned bits off of bottom of pan. Reduce heat until chicken broth is at a bare simmer, add toasted chiles to liquid and cook until chiles have softened and liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and ...

Add paste ingredients and puree in blender.

Combine meat, onions & garlic, puree, rest of chicken broth, coffee and bay leaves and bring to boil. 

Then, regardless of which method you used to get this far, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours then remove bay leaves and stir in alcohol, chocolate/sugar, and masa.  Add some hot sauce or additional chile if necessary.  Simmer another hour or so.

For best results, cool, refrigerate, and reheat the next day.

Notes:
   I usually make a double recipe of the paste and freeze half for later.
   I've been known to brown the beef on a grill.  It works.
   Truth be told, I have been known to add beans for SWMBO - I know when I'm outranked - but usually put them in her half of the finished product.

If it's too hot (or not hot enough) for your audience, change the proportions of the various dried chiles using more or less of the hot or mild ones.

Saber 4

Excellent response and recipe Ka Honu, this should get him on the right track, I only offered the kit because it gives individual packets of each spice allowing newbies to tailor it to their tastes and get the hang of it before venturing out on their own.

Quarlow

Funny thing about controversy is that it will bring the "died in the wool" experts out of hibernation. That is an awesome looking recipe for new and old chefwannabe's. Thanks Turtleman. Lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

manfromplaid

yup that looks like it will work    thanks ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: Quarlow on July 19, 2014, 04:00:55 PM... "died in the wool"...

No wonder Canadian chili isn't very good; you're using unskinned dead sheep. Down here we make chili with beef. And yes, some of our more colorful experts are quite adamant in their views; you might even say they are "dyed in the wool."

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

slowpoke

Sure is nice to see that a little ribbing can bring out the best recipes in a man.LOL Thanks Ka Honu
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

manfromplaid

All meat texas style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saber 4

I'll take a bowl please. :)

manfromplaid

used stew beef  came out tender not to hot at the bite heat at the back end nice crusty bun (didn't rise as much as i wanted) yup just what i wanted. ;D

Saber 4

Sounds perfect, glad it worked out so well for you.