Stainless Racks

Started by yelloweye, July 19, 2014, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelloweye

It doesn't appear that Bradley makes a stainless steel rack.  Has anyone found an aftermarket stainless steel rack?  I can't believe I'm the only one that wants them.

Saber 4

I haven't seen them before but would like to see them offered.

Quarlow

I haven't seen a need for them yet. Mine work just fine.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Saber 4

Quote from: Quarlow on July 19, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
I haven't seen a need for them yet. Mine work just fine.

Mine work fine as well, but after a couple of stabs at using oven cleaner on them a couple of mine are more copper colored than chrome.

pensrock

I do not think they would be too hard to make some. If you can find some flattened stainless expanded metal. You can cut to size and bend the sides and tack weld. Pretty simple if you can get the material. We use a lot of flattened expanded steel but do not carry it in stainless. Not sure what a sheet would cost.  :-\

tskeeter

I've been washing my standard chromed racks in the dishwasher for a couple of years.  Haven't noticed any rust bloom at any of the joints yet.  Thinking the chrome plating must be pretty good.  So haven't felt a need to try to find stainless racks.  Are you guys seeing rusting on your stock racks?

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on July 21, 2014, 09:39:51 AM
I've been washing my standard chromed racks in the dishwasher for a couple of years.  Haven't noticed any rust bloom at any of the joints yet.  Thinking the chrome plating must be pretty good.  So haven't felt a need to try to find stainless racks.  Are you guys seeing rusting on your stock racks?

The only dishwasher I have has a ring on her left hand so I have to wash them in the sink with a green 3M pad and after I tried oven cleaner and left it on to long I have some chrome gone but I haven't seen rust yet, I would only be interested so they would hold up to the scrubbing better.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 21, 2014, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: tskeeter on July 21, 2014, 09:39:51 AM

The only dishwasher I have has a ring on her left hand so I have to wash them in the sink with a green 3M pad and after I tried oven cleaner and left it on to long I have some chrome gone but I haven't seen rust yet, I would only be interested so they would hold up to the scrubbing better.

My chrome plating is mostly gone, and my racks will rust if I don't put them in the oven to dry after washing them. I just leave them in a 200°F oven until dry. That seems to prevent the rust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

My chrome is still fine, no rust.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ragweed

I can't tell if the chrome on my racks is okay or not, what with all of the smoke build up on them.  ;) ;)

Jim O

My chrome isn't as shiney as it used to be,but it's not rusty.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

tailfeathers

There was a post a while back about different things people used to clean their racks, v-trays, bottom liner etc and someone, I don't remember who, said they used ZEP purple cleaner so I went and got some at Menards. I bought a gallon of purple industrial cleaner and degreaser, I mix it with water in a spray bottle and use it to clean my racks, etc. The stuff works like a miracle, I use an old meat tub and lay the pieces in the bottom and spray them with that stuff and it dissolves all the grease, smoke residue, etc. Unless something is REALLY burned on you don't even have to scrub, just spray and and let it soak for a few minutes, rinse off and done. I mix it about 25/75 cleaner to water. Even then you want to have some ventilation or be outside when you spray it, at least I do. It really keeps everything shining though. Just dont use it in the smoker itself.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Thanks TF, I'll look for the Zep next time I'm in town.

Habanero Smoker

Another degreaser that works well is Dawn Power Clean. I put my trays in one of my meat lugs, add water and the Dawn and soak for about 5 minutes or longer. I find it in either Sam's or BJ's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

Habs-
I've used power clean as well, but the Zep works a lot better. Give it a try, the stuff is amazing.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!