Cured Duck Breast

Started by Mani, July 22, 2014, 01:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mani

Good Morning.

It my virgin attempt at duck breasts so wanted to run my intentions past yourselves;  any advice or tips are welcome.

Firstly, I was going to make a Dry Cure;
100g Sea Salt
80g Sugar
Zest of 2 Oranges
Zest of two lemons
2 bay leaves
10g Juniper Berries
5g White Pepper
5g Thyme

All the ingredients are then blended together.

Next, get 6 Duck Breasts, Sinew and excess skin/fat removed, skin scored.

Sprinkle duck breast with dry cure overnight, next morning, wash off with water and dry duck breasts with a paper towel and then leave uncovered in the fridge for a few hours.

Set the OBS to 220 (Fahrenheit) and cook till an I.T of 160 (Fahrenheit).

Slice and Vac Pack some, use the rest on a salad.

Habanero Smoker

If you are using a salt only cure, your recipe should work. Technically the amount of salt should be 2% - 3% of the green weight of the meat. You have about 3.5oz. of salt. Even if you are short on the salt, you cooking method is safe for cured or fresh fowl.

Did you get this recipe from a reliable source. If so, you should prepare it as written; at least for the first time.

The questions I have about the recipe are: the amount of juniper berries seem like a lot. I don't like to use sea salt, because it may contain minerals and metals that can alter the taste of the meat. If you like the flavor of your brand of sea salt then it should be good to use. The application of the cure does not seem right, and it is being applied more like a rub than a cure. Since you are cooking at a safe temperature and bringing it to a safe internal temperature, you still will have a safe finished product. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mani

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 22, 2014, 01:57:59 AM
If you are using a salt only cure, your recipe should work. Technically the amount of salt should be 2% - 3% of the green weight of the meat. You have about 3.5oz. of salt. Even if you are short on the salt, you cooking method is safe for cured or fresh fowl.

Did you get this recipe from a reliable source. If so, you should prepare it as written; at least for the first time.

The questions I have about the recipe are: the amount of juniper berries seem like a lot. I don't like to use sea salt, because it may contain minerals and metals that can alter the taste of the meat. If you like the flavor of your brand of sea salt then it should be good to use. The application of the cure does not seem right, and it is being applied more like a rub than a cure. Since you are cooking at a safe temperature and bringing it to a safe internal temperature, you still will have a safe finished product.

Hi Hab,

I'm using the cure as a flavouring more than a conventional cure;  More as you would in a Duck Confit or Pettit Sal in classic French cooking.

In regards to the Juniper, I just like Juniper (and Gin)!

Would you suggest packing the duck breasts in the salt cure mix, or leaving it in the cure for longer?

Thanks for the reply.

Habanero Smoker

If this is your first time, I would go with the way the recipe is written. It looks like that is the flavor you are looking for. For this recipe, as long as you leave the cure mix on 6 hours or more, that will give the salt a chance to do its thing.

If you pack it with the mix, you will have a firmer texture and drawn in those other flavors more, but it will be saltier. How much saltier is hard to tell.

I forgot to mention that your recipe looks like a great one to try. I rarely see duck breast in my area, but may try this with turkey thighs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mani

Thanks for the pointers...