question about 6 rack digital

Started by Bavind, July 22, 2014, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavind

picked one up at a sale but keeps blowing fuses when heating element turned on. What size should the fuse be?  Any other ideas? I checked the cabling and it all seems to be ok

tskeeter

What fuse is blowing.  In the house?  Or in the smoker?

A stock smoker draws about 5.2 amps.  If you're blowing fuses in the house, the circuit you are using is over loaded.  Common heavy electrical loads that are on circuits that might be used for your smoker would be refrigerators, freezers, or other appliances that might be in the garage.

If you are blowing fuses in the smoke generator, I believe that fuse should be a 10 amp fuse, based on comments other forum members have made.  Blowing smoke generator fuses indicates a short or other electrical problem in the smoker.

Long, light duty extension cords can be a problem, too.  I suggest that any extension cord you use be at least 14 gauge wire.  This would be the same gauge as is in a 15 amp house circuit.  Extension cords suitable for powering a lamp are too light.  Long cords add resistance to the circuit.  Resistance = heat.  And it is the heat that trips fuses or breakers.  Avoid using things such as 100 foot extension cords.  The ideal is to plug the smoker directly into an outlet.  If you have to use an extension cord, as many of us do, the ideal extension cord would be just long enough to reach the plug.

Bavind

If its 10A that could be why they sold it so cheap. The fuse that was in it was a 1A which seemed much to small but I couldn't find the correct size. oh well good for me spend $20 bucks had to replace the fuse holder. Ill be very happy if all it is is the fuse size. It will end up out at the lake for fish etc. Thanks for the info

Habanero Smoker

The fuse that is installed in your model Bradley is a size 10A. If you bought it new from a retailer, you should be covered under warranty, and since there seems to be damage to the generator, Bradley will replace the generator. Also if it is new I'm sure that Bradley would like to be informed that your smoker came with a the wrong fuse installed.

I forgot to mention most auto parts store sell that size and type of fuse.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)