2 batches of Jerky Rounds for the MWSO next month

Started by Saber 4, July 22, 2014, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Made two 5 pound batches of jerky rounds to take to Iowa, one is smoking gun with Cajun sauce for spice and the other one is teriyaki with chipotle mustard fusion and some dried orange peel.

All stuffed up and ready for the freezer

All done and bagged up 2 bags of each batch vacuum sealed with 30 pucks in each bag, along with a few extra's for me to munch on before the trip.

Tenpoint5

Gonna have to get with you guys on this mine never seem to turn out that good
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

MoHuka

Hi Saber,

Would you mind sharing your process for these rounds?  I am especially curious as to how you know when it is done?

I have some venison in the freezer I would like to use and try your method

....thanks
MoSmoker

Saber 4

I follow Ragweed's method that he showed me, I mix the ground meat, marinade and cure in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then I stuff in 2 1/2" casings. After the casings dry for a few minutes I put them in the deep freeze and rotate them every so often until they are frozen all the way around but not frozen solid. At this point you can cut them to 1/8"-1/4" wafers with a knife or your meat slicer, then remove the casings and lay them out on either your Bradley racks or dehydrator racks whichever your going to use. I use my dehydrator for these, as for when they are done I look for them to be flexible but not break and as they get closer I tear one open and look to see how dry it is inside. I usually have some thinner ones that start to finish early so I can get an idea of how the thicker ones are coming. I also squeeze them when I rotate the racks and when they don't have much give they are usually pretty close it not already done. Joe can give you a better idea of how long he does his and if I'm doing anything the hard way.

seemore

Iam not big on jerky but the Cajun one sounds good
Seemore

Tenpoint5

Quote from: seemore on July 23, 2014, 04:18:35 PM
Seemore
Better watch him Saber or a whole bag will end up missing at the smokeout! LOL

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 23, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: seemore on July 23, 2014, 04:18:35 PM
Seemore
Better watch him Saber or a whole bag will end up missing at the smokeout! LOL

I kind of figured as much....lol

pensrock

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 23, 2014, 08:25:36 AM
I follow Ragweed's method that he showed me, I mix the ground meat, marinade and cure in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then I stuff in 2 1/2" casings. After the casings dry for a few minutes I put them in the deep freeze and rotate them every so often until they are frozen all the way around but not frozen solid. At this point you can cut them to 1/8"-1/4" wafers with a knife or your meat slicer, then remove the casings and lay them out on either your Bradley racks or dehydrator racks whichever your going to use. I use my dehydrator for these, as for when they are done I look for them to be flexible but not break and as they get closer I tear one open and look to see how dry it is inside. I usually have some thinner ones that start to finish early so I can get an idea of how the thicker ones are coming. I also squeeze them when I rotate the racks and when they don't have much give they are usually pretty close it not already done. Joe can give you a better idea of how long he does his and if I'm doing anything the hard way.

You've got it nailed, Robert.  Just to add: I have two, five rack, cheap little Nesco dehydrators.  I split a 5 lb batch of wafers between the two.  I usually get ~50-55 wafers per 5 lbs deer.  It takes about 6 hrs 'til they're dry.  Both dehydrators run right at 150* F.  Bend but don't break, they're done.  My yield is never 50%.  Usually 45-47, my best being 49%.  That's why jerky is $25.00/lb in the store!!

Tenpoint5

Wait till you see my new toy at the Smoke Out Joe!

Saber 4

Thanks Joe, I tried to do your Dad's method justice.

Chris, I can't wait to see the new monster.

ragweed

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 24, 2014, 06:21:36 PM

Can't wait.  Should I bring something to "dehydrate"? ;) ;)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ragweed on July 25, 2014, 08:32:32 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 24, 2014, 06:21:36 PM

Can't wait.  Should I bring something to "dehydrate"? ;) ;)

If you would like to! It has more than enough room in it!