No tope. Beef jerky.

Started by goatermeister, July 23, 2014, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goatermeister

Hello all!!

Just wondering if I could get some friendly pointers in regards to making beef jerky in my electric smoker.  It is a bradley electric, and I was just wondering:

1. Do I need to use a cure
2.  What type of wood is best for jerky
3.  How long smoking time vs cooking time to have great results!

I would appreciate any feedback!

Black it up.

tailfeathers

In the interest of food safety (and flavor) I always add 1 tsp of cure 1 for each five lbs of meat when I make jerky, mixed with whatever other marinades or flavoring agents you like. I usually then put a couple hours of smoke at around 130F using whatever wood type you prefer, generally for beef jerky I go with hickory. Then just leave it dry at around 150-160F until it bends but doesn't break. When you bend it and can see the white fibers inside its ready to come off. Just keep in mind that you are drying it as opposed to cooking it, so low temps will work better than higher ones. I don't know if you have a dehydrator, but if so I usually move my jerky into the dehydrator after the 2 hours of smoke and let it dry. Usually takes around 6-7 hours to make a batch including the smoking and dehydrating time. If you leave it in the Bradley the whole time you want to make sure you watch it and rotate the racks a few times to make sure it drys evenly.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oh and leave the top vent wide open so moisture can escape. I leave mine wide open all the time, no matter whats in the cabinet. In fact I don't think mine would move anymore even it I wanted to move it. Some have gone so far as to remove it entirely. Good luck, let us know how it turns out, and take pics if you can. We love pictures!

Saber 4

Nothing I can add to tailfeathers info, let us know how it turns out.

goatermeister

Thanks folks, I will try the advice then let you guys know!!

tailfeathers

I should add that if you use a pre-packaged jerky kit (Hi Mountain, Cabela's etc) they usually include separate packs, one of cure and one of spices. This eliminates the need to add the cure 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goatermeister

One more thing, if I am soaking the beef in a brine cure mixture for at least 24 hours is there still need to add seasonings to beef?

I used soy sayse, sriracha, honey, beer, brown sugar, ginger and enough salt to gag half of China in my mix...