Pork butt - skin on or off?

Started by Sith Misfit, July 24, 2014, 02:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sith Misfit

Hi all, I've done a few pork butts in my smoker and have always kept the skin on... it does seem a bit of a waste when the first thing I do when it's done is remove the skin and throw it away when that had most of the rub on it... Can they be done with the skin off?

Wildcat

I've never done it with the skin on. Have not even seen the skin on in local stores. Last time I saw skin still on any part of a pig was when I was a teenager and lived on a farm where we raised our own hogs. We used the skin but not on the meat. For butts, I recommend taking the skin off and trimming any fat off down to about 1/8 inch thick or even thinner, apply EVOO or CYM, rub and smoke.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Sith Misfit

Yeah that sounds like a great idea, then I get to keep the bark too :) I'll try it this weekend :) Thanks!

Ka Honu

I generally skin before smoking and freeze it to make cracklins later.

Tenpoint5

About the only time i see skin on it is on a Picnic or the lower half of the leg. Butts around here usually only have a fat cap on them no skin.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pondee

Quote from: Wildcat on July 24, 2014, 03:11:30 AM
I've never done it with the skin on. Have not even seen the skin on in local stores. Last time I saw skin still on any part of a pig was when I was a teenager and lived on a farm where we raised our own hogs. We used the skin but not on the meat. For butts, I recommend taking the skin off and trimming any fat off down to about 1/8 inch thick or even thinner, apply EVOO or CYM, rub and smoke.

"CYM"?  What is that , please?

Sith Misfit

TedEbear

CYM = Cheap Yellow Mustard

Here's a link to many more that are used on the forum: What do all these acronyms mean?

Wildcat

Most use either EVOO or CYM to help hold the rub on. Both do really well. I personally like the EVOO best.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/